The Load value is extremely low in a high intensity 5K race

Hello,

The settings of max heart rate is 185 and threashold HR 165.
In the regular intensity training the load value is around 150.
For example, the left one in the screenshot is a 1.2K x 6 / jog 400m with load 134 and the right one is a 6K x 2/ jog 1K with load 160. Some simple heart rate data is also shown in the image.
training

This screenshot is an all-out 5K race with very high heart rate. However, the load value is only 53. That’s what I cannot understand. I believe the load is 150 or more.

Any advise is welcome,
Jones

44-53 looks to be on par with the duration (21 minutes, or close to 1/3 of an hour).
if you were to run at that pace (and same HR) for close to an hour, it would be to the 120-150.

1 Like

Thanks for replying. The 44-53 training load is kinda easy run but I need to take one or two days to recover the fatigue. If I keep it as 53, the fatigue curve even goes down, It doesn’t make sense. I believe the fatigue curve should go up.

An intensity of 121% is hardly considered an easy run. Load (TSS) is not the sole metric of significance.

2 Likes

It’s difficult to give commentary without seeing all the information, i.e. your fitness chart, and recent history.

1. Fatigue curve
    The curve is the exponential weighted moving average for the last 7 days.
    What you did on Thursday (10-Oct) to Wednesday (16-Oct) will show up as the total fatigue value.If you had a workout on Wednesday (09-Oct) with a higher value than Wednesday (16-Oct) fatigue will come down.

2. Intensity
    121% is hard, but the duration (21-mins) is not long. It’s a good time for a ParkRun, and you shouldn’t feel like you dug a huge (fatigue) hole. In cycling, an interval set of 4x5m (120% of FTP), with 4x5m rest intervals (40% of FTP) gives a total load of 68. That’s 20-mins at 120%. Intensity for the workout is 100%

3. It would seem that your threshold (HR) is set too low, as you were able to run 20-min at a constant effort (HR is quite flat, once it gets up after about 5-mins). The fact that it’s increase by +7 already adds a bit onto the 121%. If you change your threshold, and reanalyse the workout, you’ll find the intensity of 121% will drop.

Thanks for the advise. The fitness chart and running history are attached in the end.

1. Thanks the explaination the fatigue curve is a moving average. I found that curve is going a little up on the day of 5K race, not goes down actually.

2. I take one day off (17-Oct) after the 5K race. I felt musle still sore in the 2nd day (18-Oct) training. I am wondering the age makes me recovering slowly.

3. The threshold value comes from my Garmin watch since I always use the breast strip in the training. I agree with your point the threshold value maybe under-estimated. I will try to change my threshold value to see what happens.

Usually, you need 2-3 days to fully recover from a 5k race. So it’s quite normal feeling sore the next day. But you are still able and encouraged to do some easy run to speed up the recovery.

I agree with you. That’s why I am confused with the low traning load and fatigue value because a 5K race takes time to recover.

It depends on one’s level of fitness (not CTL/Fitness, but actual training level), and how the race fits into the overall training program.

A full recovery is not always necessary, as you want to build fatigue over a mesocycle (2-3 weeks) before reloading to allow super compensation.

That’s quite a big load of running, leading into the 5k race. I also assume you did the workouts,on 16-Oct, in the order of top down? So the 6.1km first, then the warmup, 5k race then cool down?

Hi Gerald,

On Oct 16, I did a walk and very easy run in the earily morninig, you can see the pace is 8~9mins/km. The race was in the evening. I did warm up, strides and drills about 2.3K. Then the 5K race. After race I did a 1K cool down and stretchs.

It’s because you dont have enough TIME under load. Add the three events up and you get a load of 98 in just over 1.5 hrs. Most of my 2-3 hrs hikes are 80-130 depending on intensity and elevation gain. I have some that are above 300 but they are all day hikes with 3-4 thousand feet of elevation gain. Looking at a typical 98 load for me is 2.5 hrs of hills with an average HR of 127 (71%) and a max HR of 167 (94%) and 1,200 ft of elevation gain.

In a shorter event a load of 86 is one hour and burning 970 calories in that hour with an intensity of 92%

1 Like