Strava sync to become a paid feature (paused)

I need to speak to the athletes I’m working with, as Strava was the easy way to sync… especially from Zwift and Rouvy.

Manual uploads might be the way forward for them, if they don’t subscribe.

1 Like

I have alot of the same data in both Garmin and Strava. I’m happy to turn off the Strava sync. Is it as simple as just deselecting Strava and selecting Garmin and this doesn’t cause any data issues?

4 Likes

Yes, just untick “download activities”.

Don’t “revoke anccess” otherwise you will lose everything.

David, shouldn‘t it be on STRAVAs to decide who is a premium user (like me) and leave the data through. It shouldn‘t be the service provider like intervals.icu to pay a second time.

13 Likes

Thanks. Just wondered what happens if the access is revoked from the Strava side?

1 Like

Everyone who is a supporter please continue to use Strava if it is working well for you. There should be plenty of API calls after this update. The best experience is get raw files from Garmin/Polar/Suunto/Dropbox and also use Strava so you have segments.

Unfortunately I think Strava have decided to quietly drop the API by not giving out rate limits without all the bad press turning it off would generate. It isn’t possible for Intervals.icu to pay for access and Strava premium or not doesn’t make any difference.

19 Likes

If Strava do that then Intervals.icu is supposed to delete all the data. But I don’t think that is likely. Just limiting apps to the number of user’s they currently have by not granting rate limits does the job.

If I turn on Garmin Sync, will it sync all my old activities or only new ones that come through? Keen to switch away from Strava :sweat_smile:

OK. I’ve been ‘playing’ (probably a bad thing). There seems to be some data duplication as the list of activities doesn’t provide enough TSS to generate this per week in the fitness graphs.

I’m wondering if it might be easier in my case to just delete the data there and re-sync everything from Garmin as I’m only interested in the last year anyway. Is that an option?

It will sync the last year of activities and then new ones as they come in. You can use the “Import all Garmin data” button in the Garmin box in /settings to get everything.

Ok so is there a way I can only sync from the current day with Garmin? I.E: From today going forward?

I can see a couple of “dups” e.g. on the 30th Oct 2022. The rides are not exactly the same so maybe dual recorded? You need to delete the one you don’t want or do Actions → Settings and tick the “Ignore time and distance” on one of them.

2 Likes

I think it will go back 87 days and after that only new activities.

In case it helps: You can set your Dropbox client on your PC or Mac to monitor the Zwift/activities folder and automatically upload them to Intervals.icu. This saves you the roundtrip through Strava. I could imagine similar solutions with other virtual cycling apps. Works like a charm with me. And happy to support Intervals.icu as a subscriber. Please continue the great work on this service!

3 Likes

What would happen if all free users start paying? Is there any way to increase the rate limit?

3 Likes

I download a fit file of the activity from Xert into a Dropbox folder, which you can select in intervals.icu, works perfectly.

Wouldn’t there be a way for intervals to create value for accounts belonging to trainers and for trainers to be entitled to an amount of students using STRAVA? It would be easier for the trainers than each student paying individually.

Another suggestion would be to make a call, request, or the platform itself, to uncheck the STRAVA download for the user who already uses synchronization by Garmin, polar, wahoo. Thus, making room for users who use other GPS models and need STRAVA.

3 Likes

I don’t know if that was answered already, but is there a possibility to filter all workouts that would be deleted on intervals if I would delete my strava account? I don’t want to do that at the moment, but it would be nice to be a little bit more independent of the strava service.

Already found it. Filter for source on activities list view.

2 Likes