[SOLVED] How can I figure out my FTP from an activity so that Intervals.icu just focusses on the 20 min segement?

As the title says - how can I figure out my FTP from an activity so that Intervals.icu just focusses on the 20 min segement?

I plan to do an FTP test later this week (on smart trainer) and the workout includes a warm up, anaerobic section, cool down and then 20 mins of the ftp test itself and finally a cool down. I have no clue how to determine what 95% of the average power is just in the 20 min section.

TIA

You can mark any segment of your activity and it will tell you the averages for it. When you click the header of the interval you can even fine-tune it to be exactly 20 minutes.

If this is a new record FTP for you, intervals will even detect that you have set a new record power over 20 minutes and it will do the calculation for you, suggesting to update your FTP in the settings accordingly.

1 Like

Hi Paul, thanks for the response!

I have to admit that I am total noob when it comes to Intervals.icu.

How do you ā€œmarkā€ a segment of any part of an activity? I honestly have no clue how to do that.

What ā€œheaderā€ are you referring to when you mentioned ā€œclick the head of the interval to fine tune it to be exactly 20 minutesā€?

Thanks!

When you click on an activity, you are in the activities tab.

With the cursor (the black vertical line on the very left of the graph in my screenshot) you are able to indicate the beginning of your interval. To create an interval you can press the letter A on your keyboard or you use the button on the bottom of the page. When the interval is created there are at least two ways you can modify it:

1. You can take one of the edges of the interval and drag it, to make the interval longer or shorter.
  2. You can click on the text on top of the interval (what I called itā€™s ā€˜headerā€™). This will open a pop-up to fine tune the interval. Here you can rename it too.

As you see, the averages and other relevant information are automatically displayed in the header. In my case: title: FTP test, duration: 20m, average heartrate: 185bpm, zone: Z5, intensity: 105%.
In your case this will also display the average power for the duration of the interval.

You can modify what info is displayed in the header by clicking the button ā€˜Fieldsā€™. Then you can select additional metrics like normalized watts or w/kg.

I hope this helps. Best regards.

2 Likes

You can also make a ā€˜selectionā€™ by click and drag with the mouse. Just make sure to click and drag in the data section of the chart, not on the timeline or above the charts. Then the view will zoom in on the selected part and top left you will see the same metrics, defined by the ā€˜Fieldsā€™ button. The difference with an interval is that a selection is not saved/permanent. Itā€™s just for a temporary view.

1 Like

Thanks MedTechCD and PaulMueller!

I just uploaded the ftp test activity I did 12 weeks ago and its so obvious to see now, duh!

See attached screenshot.

Iā€™m doing my 2nd ftp test tomorrow and Iā€™ll now be able to see what my new ftp is based on the 12 weeks of training I just completed.

Thanks

3 Likes

Paul, your explanation is super clear, but the example data graph you attach is confusing. When I do an FTP test I should be collecting power data, right?

Yes itā€™s power data you need to collect

Absolutely! However, I donā€™t use a power meter myself, but the same test protocol can be used to determine Lactate Threshold Hearth Rate, which I use to determine my HR zones and structure my training.

Got it. The confusing part was that you named the 20 minute segment ā€œFTP testā€ when you really meant ā€œLTHR test.ā€ BTW, to determine the LTHR, do you rely on the number intervals.icu spits out, the 181 BPM in your screenshot, or do you have another way of calculating it? In my experience, the threshold numbers the website estimates seem to be a bit on the high side. When I try to stay under my threshold for an extended time, I cook myself, which makes me think the number Iā€™m going on is high.

Indeed, Intervals calculates LTHR quite highly at 98% of the 20min avg HR. I use 95% to set my LTHR. In my case, this roughly corresponds with the recommendation of Dr Stephen Seiler to estimate LT2 at 85% of peakHR. Arguably more important for polarised training is probably LT1, which according to Dr Seiler can be estimated at 75% of peakHR.
Besides all this, Dr Seiler says we shouldnā€™t cheat with our 20 min FTP tests and just ride as hard as we can for 60 minutes to determine our genuine threshold power or LTHR for that matter.

Very useful comments, thank you. Staying under LT1 is a daily struggle for meā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like