Show required Fitness graph

Hi all,

I noticed that it is possible to “set fitness” as a target in the calendar.
I am wondering if it is also possible to create a graph showing the required fitness at any day between the target fitness date and now.
That way i could compare my current fitness graph against it to see if I am still on track without the need of creating a training plan upfront.
e.g. my current fitness is 50 and my target fitness is 70 end May.
In order to achieve that target I should increase my fitness every day a bit (lineair).
Thanks for your replies!

Gr Johan B

That’s not the goal of the ‘Set Fitness’ entry. It is there to set a beginning Fitness when you come from another platform and don’t import your former activities. If, for example, you used TrainingPeaks where CTL and ATL (same as Fitness and Fatigue) are 50 - 35, you can set it as a starting point here on Intervals without the need to import training history. Otherwise, you would need to wait 42 days before your Fitness chart shows your actual situation.

Ah, ok. Than I misunderstood that. But are you aware of the functionality I am looking for in intervals.icu? (setting a goal fitness level and create a graph with a line from your current fitness level to the goal fitness level)

Fitness levels should never be the goal. The fitness chart is a tool to help you plan a sustainable training load. Chasing higher fitness numbers just for the sake of a fitness number is the road to destruction. You need to plan activities in a way that your load is gradually increasing in a sustainable way, with a normal ‘ramp rate’. The reason that the fitness number should never be the goal is that everybody has a limit for that fitness number and that limit is tightly bound to the time that you can make available for working out. Once you hit that time limit, fitness will stagnate. But lots of people keep chasing a higher number within the same time limit, thus they increase intensity and destroy themselves.
Build up a good fitness with the time you have available and use performance metrics to measure your progress. It’s not because fitness stagnates, that you will no longer make progress in performance.
This may all sound complicated, and to be honest, it is complicated. Science based sport is really complex and it takes time to learn.

1 Like

Trainingpeaks does not fully agree with your statement that fitness levels should never be the goal…

It’s one of their selling points, as well as their registered trademarks, so they have to promote it.

4 Likes

You’re way better of with setting up a sustainable progressive plan and add that that to your calendar. If the workouts are specific enough and you project the Fitness chart in the future, it will predict your Fitness, Fatigue. And you can see the impact of small changes you make in workouts.

It’s basically stupid to set up a CTL goal for a certain date. If that goal is to ambitious, you will break down before you reach one third of the program. And CTL is based on TSS, which in turn needs a pretty close FTP to be trustworthy. Let alone the fact that you probably don’t even know what CTL is possible within your time-constraints.
It’s just a marketing stunt to make it sound user-friendly.

1 Like

You guys are so bad, beating up on poor ole TrainingPeaks like that. But hell yeah, have at it… :joy: I’m right there with you.

There was a discussion on the 300th episode of FastTalkLabs, about the future of their show and how AI might affect coaching. They mentioned Polar, Nokia (and Kodak) as once market leaders who failed to adapt. I’m not saying TP will go the same way, but Intervals can become the new market leader like Garmin and Apple/Samsung did… time will tell.

I was employed at Kodak from 1988 to 1999. It was my first job. I quit because I saw things going south…
6 of my Kodak colleagues followed me later to the same company I’m now working at since 1999.

2 Likes