Seasons Definition - Best Practice

Hi all,

I was wondering what others do / consider best practice for definition of seasons within intervals.icu for comparing against previous bests / training load etc (on the /power, /fitness, /compare, /totals pages for instance).

I have tended to simply have a season per year, but am thinking perhaps that is not the best thing to do. For instance at this end of the year my power bests and training load are down compared to my bests during the Summer (Northern Hemisphere-er here!), so comparison there is of no real benefit. And come January 1st, it doesnā€™t really make sense to zero everything as my January efforts will be of interest compared against my recent end-of-year efforts.

Iā€™m thinking it may be better to set up e.g Summer & Winter seasons to compare easier the type of training that I am doing. Perhaps aligned to Spring & Autumn equinoxes? Which would be season changeover at end of March & end of September. But then I may still put some good efforts in during October with the last of my Summer formā€¦ so maybe would be better to have unequal length seasons, e.g November - March (5 month winter season) & April - October (7 month summer season). And that would align with clock changes for daylight savingsā€¦

What do you do / think is best?

2 Likes

On a related note I do have ā€œseason matchā€ functionality on the todo list i.e. comparing how you are doing now compared to the same number of days into last season.

4 Likes

Is their any news on the season match functionality?

Not yet :frowning:

I have been busy with a lot of data migrations and devops work but thats all coming to an end now. So I should be able to crank out features a bit quicker now.

@david,

To your seasons backlog, can I add the ability when defining a season to pick the end date? That is, I should be able to define arbitrary ā€œseasonsā€ that overlap.

1 Like

Unfortunately thats very difficult to do. There is lots of code in Intervals.icu that assumes seasons donā€™t overlap.

1 Like

Did a search on ā€œSeasonsā€ to try and learn how people are using this feature and couldnā€™t find a solution to my situationā€¦so posting here.

I ride road in the Spring/Summer/Autumn and I ride track in the Autumn/Winter/Spring.

For the last 3 years I set up seasons as ā€œ<year.> Roadā€ or ā€œ<year/year> Trackā€ (since it overlaps 2 years).

The switchover isnā€™t that clean though and I end up with road data mixed in with track data in the Autumn and Spring when weather allows me to get outside while still riding road.

I considered suggesting a Season selection with a bike used filter, but Iā€™m not sure that would help as it would not include road data in track season in my power curves/etc. Or vice versa.

Thoughts on how I should set up to keep my road data separate from my track data but keeping my Autumn/Spring season changes? Or disregard my current seasons set upā€¦ideas on what might be better?

Cheers and thanks!

Have you played around with the filter options on the /power page already? If not, that might give you what you are after.

Assuming your track / road seasons ā€œendā€ with an event, I would do the season changeover just after that final event.

2 Likes

Thanks @William_Barnes that filter works great! (why did I NOT see that before?!?!)

Just tested it out and Iā€™m able to see my power number based on my track or road bike and iā€™ll just include the seasons I care about.
I may need to rethink my seasons strategy.
There is some training after the last ā€˜eventā€™ so Iā€™ll have a few weeks where Iā€™m riding both track and road. More so in the Autumnā€¦track season will start late August and road might not end until early November.
Iā€™ll think it over.

Brilliant! Cheers and thanks!

1 Like