Running Zones based on Pace

Hi everyone,

am I missing something, or is it not possible to display running zones based on pace instead of HR?

Pace is the next best metric to power for describing intensity in running (especially for shorter intervals).
Intervals.icu fixes the strava problem of not having dedicated HR-zones for running, but it’s missing the running pace zones to be complete imho.

Or have I just overlooked the option in settings?

2 Likes

Agreed, although as I now do a lot of trail running, both need to be an option. Running power is the ideal of course, I just haven’t self-justified a Stryd purchase yet.

Both would be great :wink:
Although I use a Stryd, power data does not get into Strava thanx to their unwillingness/inability to take that data out of Garmin FIT-files :frowning:
Intervals.icu would have pretty much everything I need, if I could get the data directly from Garmin->Intervals.icu

Intervals.icu will get data from Garmin at some point. I have API access already, just need to do the work to parse .fit files etc… However its not super simple to integrate power from a non-cycling source. I need to have sport specific power curves, “FTP” equivalent etc…

There is a bunch of work I need to do around training zones and hopefully I can get to that soon. Intervals.icu is a bit short on running features. It also needs pace histograms and so on. Its probably easier to get that all done before looking at running power + I suspect more users run with pace.

4 Likes

That sounds brilliant :slight_smile:

About running power: I don’t think that for instance WKO PDC model ist very running specific. Such a model is probably a lot harder to do for running than for cycling, as there is a non-linear relationship between mechanical efficiency and running economy. Most people I know essentially “convert” their running pace zones (either based off of metabolic testing, PBs for various distances, or HR formulas) into power ranges for hilly terrain. Although the biomechanics are different on an incline it’s still better to work with than pace… But pace is probably still the most widely used metric in running. Stryd just adds reliable pace and power as bonus to play around with… And since the industry has not agreed on a power model in running Stryd-Watts and Garmin-Watts are apples and oranges anyway :wink:

Maybe I’m wrong, but it sounds you are doing all this work on your own. If so the pace of innovation on this project, put the big commercial player to shame.

1 Like

It would be really nice to have PACE feature, when do you plan to implement it?

1 Like

It would also be great to add PACE as a target for designing workouts just like currently we have for power, HR and Cadence.

“Soon” is the best I can do.

5 Likes

@david, just got in my mind that runners not only use pace zones but also using targets like distances (eg.15x400m track,…). Only to mention that, thx!

5 Likes

I am confused what this post is about.
Is it possible to change Activity > Interval data displayed zone from HR to pace?

I tried changing Settings > Run > Time in zones to Pace, HR, Power and updating all activities, activity zones are still displayed in HR. Also in Totals I only see, Combined zones and Heart rate zones, Pace zones is missing?

The totals will show you combined time in zones from all activities. If an activity has HR and pace data then “Settings > Run > Time in zones” controls which “time in zones” is used when totals are calculated. You also need to captured your threshold pace and define pace zones for the sport in settings. There is some more info here:

Totals only shows combined zones and heart rate zones, it looks like pace zones is missing?

If an activity has HR and pace data then “Settings > Run > Time in zones” controls which “time in zones” is used when totals are calculated. You also need to captured your threshold pace and define pace zones for the sport in settings. …

I have set threshold pace and defined pace zones for running.

In Activity > Interval data > Fields, how do I change whether pace, HR or power is used?

Ah I get it now. I will sort that out. Tx.

It’s done now.

Awesome, it looks great!

I’m still not sure how this works. It’s not big deal anyway. But I think it would be nice if you could display each zone individually, (heart rate, pace, grade adjusted pace, power) and if the zone colour corresponded to the colour of the zone.

That is specific for intervals. Currently intervals are derived from power if available (auto detection from the power trace) , then HR (from laps), then pace (from laps). That is not configurable at the moment. You can HR, pace etc for intervals even if they were derived from the power data. Its just the zone which is fixed.

A small bug in the popup the link into Joe Friel is broken, the good one is https://joefrieltraining.com/a-quick-guide-to-setting-zone/

Tx. Fixed.