Review of Virtual Riding Platforms

I think RGT’s selling point is the custom routes. I tried it when I reached Zwift Level 50 (brag, brag!), along with Rouvy and FulGaz, but I wasn’t keen on the small number of routes. Plus, as you say, there was a lack of riders. I went with FulGaz, which I find very helpful in keeping me going through TrainerRoad sessions. For my use-case, the realism of the physics simulation is less important than the quality of the virtual environment.

Don’t have Premium so never got to try out Magic Routes (custom routes)

This basically riding slopes mode (TCX/GPX/FIT of outdoor rides converted to indoor turbo based route) but w/ the addition of Video.

Other apps also supports this, albeit w/o the video. eg: this from a guy hacking on GC (goldenCheetah) https://groups.google.com/g/golden-cheetah-users/c/FfNEPbtOeUA/m/P19defU5BgAJ

There are two not mentioned that I like a lot.

1. “Perfpro” a one time subscription. Pure training with a lot a data if you want it. Videos can be attached to training sessions if you want to.
  2. “IcTrainer” Extremely inexpensive (23.50€ per annum) Fulgaz/BigRing alternative…my new favourite. Data and real rides including you can download your own favourite rides to it.
1 Like

please tell me how - I couldn’t make it find my kickr core - the hr straps connected, but the kickr wouldn’t show up - on the same ipad where zwift worked before I killed the app to make sure not to use any of the BLE connections

You’re referring to the TACX app right? If yes, then I don’t believe it will connect since you have a wahoo and I believe that the TACX app will only connect to TACX branded trainers.

I am, as @Quincy_Five was stating to know people who managed to do so. The app itself doesn’t look that bad and there is at least a free option (at least it looks that way)

I miss the old Rouvy. Unlike most folks, I prefer not to see other riders but instead focus solely on my numbers. I ran Rouvy with ANT+ native to a Samsung Galaxy View for years, and even uploaded some rides and videos. I migrated to Apple TV this season and am disappointed with both the Apple TV and Rouvy AR. I also don’t care about the virtual crap but just want scenery and an accurate slope, which Rouvy (both old and new) are fine with on my Tacx Neo 2T (and previously `16 Kickr).

With Rouvy AR, I don’t seem to be able to upload routes, turn off other riders, free ride, or simply fire up the app and easily get to my favorites. Apple TV has this overly-sensitive weird touch-mouse and Rouvy AR makes it even more challenging to navigate menus.

Sorry, this crap has made me feel like an old curmudgeon these days. I just want to train on some of my local routes I ride in real life… you’d think there’d be an app for that!

1 Like

Is Rouvy AR different from the normal Rouvy?
Looks like the Route Upload feature was pulled back due to some legal issue?

That was my favourite feature on Rouvy; being able to ride my own outdoor routes, indoors.

1 Like

I am pretty sure it doesn’t based on what I saw partially of it’s code

1 Like

Yes, it’s a different app they phased in a few years ago. I tried it in beta on Android and Windows and stuck with the original, but on Apple TV it’s basically what you get. On the old app you had a left-hand menu that was straightforward, but on the Apple TV you have to mouse around (painfully) to select something other than some default ride they give you.

I don’t buy the legal excuse. As a cybersecurity and privacy professional I’ve implemented GDPR and BSI and other EU and UK regs, and still regularly deal with lawyers who over-interpret GDPR requirements. Yes, the works councils are a hassle to deal with, but I suspect they mainly have resource and technical issues supporting the demand, now that they’ve added all the AR crap.

“Unfortunately, Free ride is not available in the new ROUVY app. We are sorry about it. It was possible only in the old app.”

“Unfortunately, if you are riding routes with Live riders it is not possible to get rid of their Avatars. We are so sorry.”

2 Likes

That’s one of the primary reasons I’ve gone with Kinomap. Each of the videos I’ve added are local rides I’ve done and I’ll often use those for indoor training later on. I’ve also used videos from other riders to preview routes for a hill climb race series I’ve participated in the past couple years.

1 Like

I’m thinking of trying Wahoo SYSTM to replace Zwift and get some structured workouts as well. I think they have triathlon training plans.

And the workouts will sync to my Wahoo Head Unit. And with the python magic posted here somewhere It’ll sync to intervals as well.

Has anyone played with SYSTM?

1 Like

Hi - IcTrainer looks interesting but appears to be in German, at least the tutorial videos are. Do you know if there is support for language-challenged English-only speakers?

1 Like

I’m wondering if FulGaz has improved at all. When I tried it, it seemed to not work with Ant+ sensors very well - or at all.

I dropped BigRIngVR - it was kind of boring and I found the route terrain/elevation visuals didn’t match the simulation slope.

I still find this to be a problem to a lesser extent with Rouvy as well - that is, I’m on a virtual route that visually is clearly going down, but the slope is up. I find that very annoying.

I’m curious about what people have said about the “new” Rouvy AR app. I only use it on Windows, so perhaps that’s a different situation, but I’m not aware that the app is different than what I started with. Or perhaps I just haven’t noticed the feature changes.

I ended up trying Zwift and keeping it, sort of grudgingly. I don’t really like the whole simulated environment - but a lot of features work better in zwift. I just try to ignore all the groups and power ups and things people fling to me. I wish there were options for more realistic rides rather than just a couple at any given time.

So at this point, I’m using just Zwift and rouvy. Perhaps I’ll check in at some point if BKOOL has fixed their many bugs or fulgaz has improved Ant+ support on windows.

1 Like

Being Austrian myself (icTrainer seems to be German though) I never noticed the videos being in german :see_no_evil:

The website defaults to English for me though (IT Nerd, all my devices talk English to me).

I’d say: give the free 30d trial a go and see for yourself. Well, and report back here :nerd_face:

1 Like

Its in English and there are many english tutorial videos. Been using it for a few months now and I like it it. They say they are planning som more climb videos for next year, Alpe d’huez for example some plenty to look forward to.
https://www.youtube.com/@ictrainer-comindoor-cyclin8607

1 Like

This is a fuzzy memory but you can try it. I killed the internet connection on my phone as I was riding Zwift and all the other riders disappeared! I think slope changes also stopped (my trainer was being controlled by another workout file) but my avatar continued thru the vitual countryside.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bicycling/comments/kzh7fq/a_useful_way_to_use_zwift_offline_with_no/

I mostly use Trainer Road but am trying FulGaz more and more. A big version update coming later this month looks like great improvement. Something BIG is coming! Actually, it's lots of little things you've asked for, and we think that adds up to a big deal. Check out this exclusive preview... | By Mike | Facebook