Review of Virtual Riding Platforms

I am running FulGaz on an iPad, so using BT is by far the easiest option. However, I am usually running TrainerRoad in parallel as follows:

TrainerRoad running on my Android phone connected to Tacx Neo (with control) vis BT, HRM via ANT+ (for a technical reason).

FulGaz running on the iPad with a BT connection to the HRM sensor and a BT connection via CABLE to the ANT+ power and cadence broadcast by the Tacx Neo. This gives me a bit of visual interest during the rather boring interval sessions.

The CABLE is a rather useful device that reads ANT+ broadcasts and retransmits as BT. Very useful where BT channels are limited. It might help in your situation.

Robert

I know that some people do use it w/ Wahoo Kickr’s.

I found the problem. I had the old version of AR, and didn’t use the Workout app.

I see the new 2022 version (Mac) has the option to import custom workouts. Thanks.

If anyone here is familiar with GTA V the video game, someone (supposedly a Garmin employee) made a mod https://www.gtbikev.com/ to be able to cycle in the game world. It’s definitely a kludge but I think I’m going to give it a go. If nothing else, it should be good for a laugh :rofl:

Apparently I’m late to the game. GPLama made a video on the topic two years ago: Cycling in Grand Theft Auto V with GTBikeV: Details // Setup // Install HOW-TO - YouTube

2 Likes

I got GTA V biking working and I have to say it works well enough. The installation process was easy with the new installer. The graphics and world is really much nicer than any of the game worlds of Zwift or RGT. It’s not multiplayer but I don’t really care that much for the social features of Zwift. In GTA V, a full 3D game world is actually a compelling use case for the steering accessory Elite Sterzo Smart.

1 Like

man… I love the video at 1:34 mins

1 Like

:joy: You might enjoy GPLama’s video on the update:

1 Like

LOL… Well, that’s certainly one way to “drop” your competitor

I agree with this approach using FG for inspiration/boredom relief. I’ve tried connecting a few FulGaz rides with Tickr but (1) the power seems harder per Watt v. TR, (2) cannot get HR and cadence to connect consistently, and (3) FG picture at times pauses or completely locks up (using an HDMI cable from laptop to TV) resulting in loss of ride. I prefer the few rides on FG where there are other cyclists on the route that I can “chase.” I don’t know of a way to find those, but would like to.

I’ve tried (almost) all of the platforms mentioned in this thread. I’m surprised that Kinomap wasn’t mentioned…but that’s the platform I’ve gone with. I suppose they only have mobile apps but I’m typically projecting via Apple TV to a large display. Their app connects to my smart trainer, and other sensors, etc.

I only use the “Motion Videos” feature, but they also have structured workout, multiplayer, and some coaching features. Most of the videos I’ve seen are pretty good quality. I’ve also uploaded several of my own ride videos to train on later. There is a video creator reward program with free subscriptions or quarterly payments if your videos get enough usage.

-robert

1 Like

Rouvy has an interesting set of Augmented Reality (AR) routes where you ride in real world video routes but they place 3D rendered riders representing you and others on the display.

This article is from 2018 so the implementation has changed/improved Rouvy Rolls Out Augmented Reality Indoor Training Feature | DC Rainmaker

I prefer it over the Fulgaz ‘just video’ view.

Yeah, @David_Williams, I use FulGaz too for the entertainment while I’m indoors.

Some things I learnt:
. always download the ride first;
. if you want to chase cyclists, use challenge mode in settings and choose a person who takes just a bit less time than you expect;
. use the FulGaz Forum [Redirecting...] for tips on connections or raise a ticket with the support crew.

Great video quality, filmed by people on bikes [except the Ironman series, which are by car or m/bike].

1 Like

I m surprise nobody speaks about the sufferfest, I found il great for training.
Virtu-Pro cycling (veloton) is the best for me now, it s fun, made by cyanide, video game company, in beta access
They are testing multiplayer, but I prefer playing against the game. Better for my ego to beat Sagan and terpstra in a sprint on virtu-pro than some teenager or overweighted guy on zwift.
It can be very easy in the pack so you can stay in zone 1/2 and have fun
It s a game with a lot or tactics, should you leave the pack early or ask your partners to speed up?
You can compete with stars on the classic and Tour de France, one stage to 3 weeks races…

2 Likes

From my readings, Sufferfest is more of a training platform, with the video being secondary. It seems like most people have chosen Trainer Road for training.

Looks like VirtuPro Bike is invite/sign up for beta for now. Looks better than Zwift but that’s probably because they’re focusing on the more hard core cyclists.

I see DCRainmaker has suggested a merger between Zwift and TrainerRoad may be in the works. Or maybe a closer arrangement than at present.
Not sure whether this is good or bad from my perspective as a subscriber to both - depends what kind of deal (if any) results from this. I’ve been very pleased with TrainerRoad’s adaptive training, and early signs are that my progress using TrainerRoad’s training plans is good. However, as I said in an earlier post in the thread, I find TrainerRoad sessions deathly dull and I enliven them with FulGaz or Zwift for some visual entertainment.

Robert

2 Likes

I typically also run Zwift alongside TrainerRoad. Not because I like Zwift, but because the subscription is still running… All I’d really need would be any software that provides a decent physics model to translate power & size and weight into reasonable speed values.
Maybe not as over-speeding as Zwift, but not as dull as TR’s wheel-speed tempo;-)

What’s the cheapest and easiest software to run in parallel to TR to get physics-model speeds into FIT files?

2 Likes

I have no idea which of the platforms I use have the best ‘physics model’, but for my use case I also don’t care too much, since the main data I rely on for training are Power and HR. I am not sure how to find out about these physics models, since I imagine they are proprietary.

1 Like

Well, I did not ask about the “best”, but for the “cheapest and easiest software […] with a physics model”:wink:

Hahah, indeed, you said ‘decent physics model’! My apologies. So all these platforms have some kind of physics models that take into account rider weight and power, and presumably aero characteristics. I think Zwift is definitely a bit iffy, e.g. ridiculous cornering speeds down the Alpe. It’s often said that RGT’s modelling is better, but I disliked the platform.
FulGaz ‘feels’ good, but I think all of the platforms I’ve looked at fail to take into account the likelihood of crashing if the rider corners too fast!
I suppose the physics becomes more important when doing virtual racing.

1 Like

RGT does claim itself to have the best physics model. Eg: Braking when too near rider in front and the like… cornering and such.

Somehow, I too don’t fancy RGT. I’m not sure if the reason for this is due to the lack of riders. (when I ride)