Ramp Test and FTP setting

Probably a stupid question, but can I use my known FTP from a ramp test to set the duration for estimating my FTP? I.e. play about with the duration so that the eFTP matches what my ramp test came out with.
Thanks

1 Like

If you know your FTP exactly, just type it in, for TTS and zone estimation use FTP from the settings, not eFTP.

1 Like

I have done, just was trying to get it to track my FTP between tests as accurately as possible.

Intervals.icu doesn’t (yet) recognise a ramp test in the data and interpret it correctly (i.e. use 75% of the last minute or whatever the protocol is for FTP). That said the eFTP for a ramp test is often close to that just based on “avg watts for the duration”.

If you are getting eFTP overestimates from short efforts (3 mins, the default) compared to your ramp test then bump up the min duration. I am good at 3 mins so I have mine set to 5 minutes and I often do a 7-8m climb near my house as a test.

After multiple ramp tests on Trainer Road, I now have confirmed that, at least for me, the 20 min. ramp test is not an accurate measurement. It is VO2 max dependent. I’m 67 and naturally VO2M “challenged” due to age. I did a Kolie Moore assessment outside and did a long, increasing block of power, and my FTP tested at least 231, which is 20 points higher than TR ramp test. The 231 also is very close to my eFTP here of 229. So, I think the eFTP is reliable!

2 Likes

If you know exactly your FTP… there’s no need to test it…?
:grin:

Hi @david, I did Ramp Test last week, TR estimated FTP was 261W. intervals.icu estimation was 262W. Amazing job as you do not have as much resources as TR has. TR Nate mentioned in podcast the Ramp Test FTP calculation algorithms is their competitive advantage, perhaps not any more.

1 Like

Tx. That is somewhat fortunate. You are supposed to take 75% of the last 1 minute of the ramp test or something similar. Intervals.icu will just be looking at the avg power for the last 3 minutes (or whatever you have set as your min eFTP estimation time). So sometimes that will work out, maybe not other times.

I have a long outstanding todo list item to recognise ramp tests and interpret the data appropriately.

1 Like