Problems with workout import (FIT file)

I am trying to import a number of FIT file running workouts into the workout library which I have previously exported from Training Peaks.

The warm up (step 1) as well as the interval section (step 2 incl. 10 on/off repeats) seem to come across correctly, but cool down (step 3) is missing completely.

I have checked the FIT file using fitfileviewer.com and step 3 seems to be included in the file.

Also, the original workout includes some text in the description field in TP which does not come across either, but I am not sure if this is even included in the FIT file. fitfileviewer does not show anything.

I tried exporting the workout as as ZWO file from Training Peaks as a test. This one does includes the description text. It also includes the cool down step, but it got rid of the ‘press lap’ commands from the original workout.

This did not result in a usable workout though. Looks to me like Intervals would be expecting power targets, not pace targets for a ZWO workout.

Hi there,

Anybody listening? Is this a bug or is there something I can do about it?

Grateful for any tips.

Thanks
Michael

What does the ‘press lap to advance’? It’s just a comment, isn’t it? Whenever I press lap button on a workout, it advances to the next step.

It means you have to press lap in order to advance to the next lap.

However, the specified duration is technically just a comment, because it does not do anything. It only gives a guideline but leaves the flexibility to handle the exact duration according to circumstances (e.g. prolong the final step until you reach home).

Oh, I see, you mean this ‘Press lap’ option:

Correct. Looks like this when corrected manually:

As mentioned above, the last workout step was left out completely by the import. In the first workout step, the “Press lap” option was added correctly, but strangely the duration indication was changed from 20 min to 10 min by the import.

I have tried the importer with a number of workouts which are designed similarly in the last days (all exported from Training Peaks as FIT files). They all produce the same issues on import unfortunately.

When playing these same workouts on a Garmin watch (pushed from Training Peaks to Garmin Connect via the API) they work flawlessly, therefore I believe the FIT files are fine but the importer does not read them correctly.

Did you get an answer, I’m new and only have .fit files. I can’t seem to be able to upload any .fit file at all.

No, the problem was not solved. I ended up importing and then adjusting/correcting the workouts manually.

But it sounds strange that .fit file upload does not seem to work at all for you. To me it appeared that the import did not reproduce everything correctly but worked in general/with some exceptions.

I am also having issues with fit files. They look good in the viewer, but when uploaded into intervals.icu the workout is just wrong. The swim for instance is in minutes, all in z1, but the workout is supposed to be intervals at a distance.

1 Like

Sorry for the belated response but could you please email one of the files with the cooldown step missing to david@intervals.icu and I will have a look.

Please mail me one of those files.

1 Like

Regrettably, I can confirm the claims made by others as I am also encountering comparable problems with the 80/20 endurance .fit files. Appreciation for investigating this matter, @david !

1 Like

Tx for sending me the original file. Unfortunately Intervals.icu can’t import that. It doesn’t have pace targets. The zones are just included as text in the note fields. Currently Intervals.icu can’t generate swim workouts with target_type=swim_stroke/open as in the file.

I still think theres an issue. When i create a file, export, then import the same file it isn’t correct…

Created in app.

Import of the previous workout that was downloaded…

You need to put the duration first like this:

Warmup
- 15m Z1 pace

Then the skyline chart will fill in properly. Otherwise the zone is assumed to be for power.

Sorry, missed your message. I have just emailed you a file with the cooldown step missing.

Thanks. I have added support for that. Intervals.icu doesn’t support steps without duration or distance so that open ended cooldown is given a duration of 10 minutes. I will deploy the change Friday am.

I’m having a similar problem with Zwift zwo files importing. I have previously done them but the latest ones of the same file are missing the warm up part and they are also adding a distance to the workout.
I’ve added a picture with both files showing the correct one (green) and the latest one imported (red).

Could you please email me (david@intervals.icu) the zwo file for that workout. I recently added support for run zwo files. That shouldn’t have made any different to a ride file but I need to check.

Thanks for the files. I have fixed this for deploy Tues AM (GMT+2). I wasn’t expecting to see pace=“0” in a bike workout, thought that would only appear for runs. That is now ignored for bike workouts.