Phone app plans

Any plans to make a phone app?

4 Likes

Is there a need? intervals.icu works great in a browser on mobile.

9 Likes

Not at the moment. Itā€™s a big thing to have to support 2 more platforms. Also it would need to be a fairly thin wrapper of the website which wouldnā€™t add much value. A ā€œproperā€ mobile app (native UI) would be a huge undertaking and very hard to keep up with the website.

11 Likes

On iPhone you can save tabs from Safari right on your homescreen. For intervals this looks and feels just like an app. No need for an app for iphone.

14 Likes

Iā€™ve setup some of my club athletes like that, on iOS and Android devices. Keeps it simple for them, as they need to complete RPE, Feel and comments on their workouts/rides.

1 Like

Same with android. Intervals.icu mobile webpage works fantastically well. Itā€™s infinitely better than TP mobile app imo.

5 Likes

Thanks all just a idea forgot about saving web on iOS lol

Great website BTW

I think the only possible benefit of a phone app for @david would be that it could enable extra payments via Google Play. Thereā€™s a lot of us out there with a boat load Play Store credit weā€™d happily give to good apps and devs.

(e.g. Iā€™ve got about Ā£40 of credit I canā€™t really use because most app developers donā€™t accept play store credit these days due to the cut Google take).

1 Like

Thatā€™s interestingā€¦ Google also takes like 15-30% of each in-app-purchase I believe. But, the good thing is for the pLay store, devs have the option to require purchases outside of the play store credits.

One benefit would be native integration to Apple Health. Getting activitiy data directly from Apple instead of going through Strava would be nice.

Another would be get users stuck in Strava. Those who run/cycle using a phone app instead of a head unit/watch.
I strongly support the ideia, giving the Average Athlete John an alternative for Stravagram (or Instrava, if you prefer).

How does this work? I donā€™t have an Apple Watch, so my support for Apple Health is currently limited at best. Right now, Iā€™m just using the Apple Watch HR and broadcasting it to the App.

1 Like

You can use the HealthFit app to get Apple health stuff into Intervals.icu.

1 Like

I got access to the app for my android phone - maybe because I paid the voluntary subscription.

The app? There is no Android Intervals app.

Intervals app icon focus
This what got onto my smartphone. Maybe itā€™s an icon that links to the web site, but I thought it was an app

Itā€™s a direct link to the website. Thereā€™s no app.

For me it feels sort of in betweenā€¦
In the Chrome browser you can select ā€˜add to home screenā€™ from options. This will place a tile on your Android homescreen as if it were an app. When selected this will open a ā€˜kioskmodeā€™ like Chrome viewer without any of the Chrome UI.

I must say that for me this completely looks and feels like an app and is my goto way to visit Intervals.icu when not near my laptop.

Just to give an idea this is what it looks like:

2 Likes

Yes it looks like an app. But it has the advantage that you never need to update and everybody is always on the same version.
The only drawback is that you canĀ“t use it without internet acces.