Newbie; where to start?

Hi Guys,

Just started training about two months ago with a Taxc Vortex :slight_smile:
Iā€™m 56, my heart rest rate is 50, ftp is about 120.
My aim is to keep up with some spirited (1.5 / 2 hours)(senior) group rides in the spring (about 5 months from now).
What would be a good (3 times a week) training plan?

Thanks,

Robert
https://intervals.icu/?invite=2dg0c607iivn2i77

In my opinion I would go to the trainerday.com page, and there are many free plans there, I would choose / advise initial base training.
I can get an excellent discount for the Premium version, I am a friend of the owner, usually I always get a good discount, send a private message if you want :+1::+1::+1:

Build some base and fatigue resistance - I would do two interval workouts a week at about 80-85% of your max HR. Start with whatever you can handle - 4x8, 3x10 etc. and do a progression like 3x12, 4x10, 3x15, 4x12, 3x20, 4x15, 4x20, 2x30. In other words, when your comfortable doing 3x12 at the prescribed HR move up to 4x10 etc. Include a warmup and cool down and 3-5 minutes rest between intervals and you should have a nice 90 minute session. Do those workouts on Monday and Friday. On Wednesdays do a 90 minute Z2 workout at about 75% of max HR.

Also Trainer Road has some great plans particularly for the beginner that will take you through a Base, Build and Specialty phase. My advice though is focus on that base.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice Steve!

PM sent :slight_smile: