MAP and TMAP - How is it calculated?

I’m only peripherally familiar with Xert, but MPA (Max Power Available) represents something more like W’, or work capacity. edit: nope, that’s HIE (High Intensity Energy). Thanks @david and @Cyclopaat.

So MPA [and HIE] will be depleted by working at MAP, until MPA = MAP, meaning roughly ‘no more watts are available’ and indicates TTE @ MAP.

But in theory and in practice, you could continue to work by decreasing your power below MPA. Since you still have some work capacity available… just not enough to continue performing at MAP. You might be able to see how hard-start intervals would fit into this model. It’s very compelling.

2 Likes

Actually, you pull MPA down by working above TP (threshold power). When MPA drops below TP, you have what they call a breakthrough (BT), where you increase any of three parameters, Peak Power (1 sec max, but that usually only occurs if you exceed your previous PP at any time during your effort), High Intensity Energy (available energy to perform above TP) and/or your Threshold Power.

1 Like

I would be interested to know how Xert decides between increasing your HIE (W’?) and Threshold (FTP/CP) or some combination when you achieve a breakthrough. Intervals.icu will put you on a higher power curve (FTP) and slightly higher W’ but the W’ number comes with the curve and isn’t individual.

1 Like

I think it’s simple? You break the old barrier, by continuing - just needs to be 5-10 seconds - to push > TP after you pulled MPA down.

Your HIE will increase as you continue to push above MPA/TP, but it is volatile and difficult to calculate, but MPA is individual, determined by PP.

Anyway, they have good experts - and lots of documentation - to explain the science a lot better than I would be able to :joy:

2 Likes

Picking this thread up - one of the things I like to look at in relation to MAP is Fractional Utilisation (relationship between FTP and VO2Max - FTP/MAP as a %) to see whether I would benefit from some focused VO2Max work or FTP work.

It would be great if we could have this % calculated based on our MAP value and set FTP (and/ or eFTP) shown on the /Power page and also as a field to be able to plot in a custom chart on the /Fitness page. Could this be added?

2 Likes

Why does it not give a MAP value in 30 days but in 84 days? The best record was achieved today

I need to do some work on the TMAP calc to make it work for more “messy” data.

Do I understand that correctly, to get MAP and TMAP data I have to do a very specific test protocol, otherwise the fields always remain empty?

Sort of. You need a well filled in power curve like in the paper.

1 Like