Load (TSS) weekly ramp

Hi,

would be nice to have a load weekly ramp chart like we already have for Fitness.

Tks,

From TrainerRoad : Typically, a weekly ramp rate in the 6 TSS neighborhood (+/- 2 TSS) works well for most riders, ( Training Stress: Ramp Rate and Target Ranges – TrainerRoad )

1 Like

I have added a daily load graph under my fitness graph. It is close to what you want but not quite.
I agree that it would be nice with a TR-like load graph

There are a number of ways to add a ramp rate chart. The default one shows it on a weekly basis:

You can also create custom ramp rate charts. The red and Green dots chart are 42 day and 7 day ramp rates.

I’m not a TrainerRoad user these days so can’t be sure, but I don’t remember them ever having a ramp rate graph.

Mike

Hi,

I guess the current ramp rate chart at ICU is for Fitness (CTL).
I would like to have a ramp chart for Load ( TSS).

In adding a custom chart I could not find where to specify one or another.

Thank you

1 Like

You can add a custom chart like this:

And then select one of the following:

It’s a while ago since I set up my charts and I think there a lot more options now than there were.

Mike

1 Like

Hi,

The chart bellow comes from Golden Cheetah and I’ve created a plan just to illustrate the difference between Fitness (CTL/Triscore Long Term Stress) ramp rate and Load (TSS/Triscore) ramp rate.
As you can see Fitness ramp rate (yellow) is almost zero while TSS ramp (cyan) is not. This is due the fact the load not to be sufficient to cause a significant impact on Fitness along the time.

Also the saying (arguable) over several sources specifies the following guide for ramps:
Weekly CTL Ramp of 3 to 5 (or 5 a 8 per Joe Friel…) = 4(3x1) week block CTL Ramp of ~6-10 (or 10-16 per Joel Friel …)

While TSS ramps:

Trainer Road TSS Ramp rate
TSS = Previous week’s TSS + weekly work days *rr
Typically, a weekly ramp rate in the 6 TSS neighborhood (+/- 2 TSS) works well for most riders, so a weekly ramp rate of 15 TSS is not recommended but still useful for our needs here.

Must admit I’m a bit confused here.

I get the CTL ramp rate stuff and that is well established but the TSS ramp rate stuff seams like stuff made up by TrainerRoad because they can’t be bothered to actually do the job properly.

A far as I can see this is just the difference in weekly TSS/7

However, that’s not what is shown in your graphic as the TSS ramp rates should be zero for weeks 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 for any of the cycles you’ve shown.

Is it to do with this?

Calculating TSS Ramp Rate

Tweaking a commonly utilized formula (Previous Week’s TSS + 6*rr) for our simpler purposes, we’ll use a ramp rate (rr) of 6 TSS and week 4’s total TSS of 163 TSS to get the following:
163 TSS + 6*6 = 163 TSS + 36 = 199 TSS

I have no idea why they have used a multiplier of 6 but you appear to have interpreted that as the no. of training days. Personally, I don’t think it’s sensible to vary ramp rate based on the number of days you trained, rather than the actual number of days in the week.

Lets say I did a week of 50 TSS each day giving me 350 TSS and the next week I did 7 days of 55 TSS giving me a total of 385. That’s a ramp rate of 5.

If, instead of doing 7 days of 55 TSS, I did 4 days of 96.25 TSS which also gives 385 TSS for the week, I’d end up with a ramp rate of 35/4 = 8.75 where in actual fact the week upon week change is the same.

Sorry If I’ve misinterpreted what you’ve been trying to say.

Mike

kkk I kind of agree with you.

I have just put TR formula because it was on hand but Golden Cheetah does have TSS and CTL charts implemented already.

You find the whole explanation here: Training Stress: Ramp Rate and Target Ranges – TrainerRoad

Any way, the importance of a TSS weekly ramp is that in theory we should not grow load more than 10% from one week to another besides some already established known ramp rates like TR’s 6 TSS neighborhood (+/- 2 TSS) general guide.

Regards,

Hi @Mike_Lauder,

how do you create this chart?

These are the options you need to select:

Mike

2 Likes

I hadn’t realized until looking back at this stuff, that they graphs aren’t actually what I thought they were:

I had imagined that they were the 7 day ramps and 42 day ramps whereas, in actual fact they are rolling averages over 7 and 42 days of the 7 day ramp rates.

I’ve just added the 7 day ramp as a solid blue line for comparison:

Mike

2 Likes

I got it… crazy how high is the up and down at your chart.

Cool.

Yeah, that’s just a complete lack of consistency.

Mike

Hi,

You are right. There is an error in TR’s web page. The correct formula should be : Previous Week’s TSS + 7*rr
I’ve done a small sheet to illustrate the concept.

I could not find a chart that represents this concept.
A Ramp Rate of weeks with the same total TSS has to be 0 (zero).

Regards,

Yeah - there’s nothing in Intervals.icu that can do that.

Mike

I added a new aggregate function “Weekly Total / 7” so you can plot TSS/d:

Note that if the most recent week displayed isn’t complete then the number of days so far is used instead of 7.

I have just gone from 61 TSS/d to about 90. Will have to see how that works out for me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @david,
is it possible to add a reference line somehow?

like choosing “Load” and instead of weekly total/as is/etc I put a value and a line is drawn relative to “Load” axis

thanks!

1 Like

Hi David,

Just don’t know how you find time for all this load (bike+development+costumer care) :clap: :clap: :clap:

For a plan perceptivity I’m not sure this 7d week load will help once the “shape” is exactly the same of a regular load.

Too difficult to make a TSS avg daily week (fixed 7days) ramp rate (yellow bar only?

AGV daily TSS/w (7days) 45 51 51 23 51 51 51 27 49 55 61 31 53 59 65 35 57 63 69 39
TSS daily week ramp rate 7 0 -28 0 0 0 -24 -2 6 6 -30 -8 6 6 -30 -8 6 6 -30

Thank you any way.

1 Like

Tx. I will look into that.

2 Likes