Ironman 70.3 Training Plan

Hi Everyone,
I am training for Ironman 70.3 and my goal is race in 4.30 - 4.45 hrs. I train 7-20 hrs./week.
Could somebody share an example training plan with the different blocks and load suggestions for Base1-3, Build 1-3, Tapper and Race? I will adapt the plan to my needs and use it with the API form that @Gerald and @MedTechCD kindly shared.
thanks
Yves :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just to get things sorted:

This example results in the range of 4h 33min for a half-Ironman distance.

This level is not achievable with a standard training plan you can copy and adjust a bit from anyone out there.

This level is already so specific which requires a very individual training concept with very individual training sessions.

Maybe try this? :sweat_smile:

Tks guys, I am looking for the trainig blocks for each mesocycle that I can adapt to my needs…

This are my splits in previouse years of some races

So my pb is 4.58 in Australia WC 2016

Does somebody have an excel file with the single sessions and traing loads per session ? Then I could use the blocks and sessions for my weekly planning based on the ATP API plan that I worked out.

I’ve written my own plan based on “the triathlon trainings bible” by Joe Friel. He writes a lot about the different blocks, phases of training and how much load you should try to hit.
Lets see in September if it was worth it :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes, I have the tri bible by Joe Friel and following the structure. What time did you reach with your plan ? Could you share the template in excel? I was looking at the spreadsheet for the annual planning with the different blocks but could not find it online…

1 Like

Btw my IM 140.6 Emilia Romagna Splits 2018 in total 11.07

Also here I struggeled with my run. This time hit the wall right after the bike but luckily recovered by taking salt, lemon shots , coke and redbull for the first 50 min… if this happens to anybody can help big time to boost your system!!

My limiter was always the run part… must work on that ! Sure 140.6 races are different and did not see that experience coming!

how was your triathlon??

I’m also planning to start training for half ironman for next year (maybe near Oct). Here for plans and advice!!

I actually got covid 2 weeks out from the race. So I Didn’t participate.

I had a 70.3 in september as well, and while I was relatively fit it was way too hot and the swim course was over 250m too long so it took me almost an hour longer than last year. Never the less, it was fun and now is the perfect time to really nail the training for the next ones as I kinda planned a shitload of stuff and ignored it all and basically did what I always do (2-3x swimming per week without real structure) around 100k of cycling per week (with no structure) and the occasional runs in between :wink:

I found a 16week swim plan from FORM swim. I have their goggles, but not the payed plan where I can have the workouts in the goggles - but since they won’t change anything on the display side (numbers are too small when near sighted) I wouldn’t be able to read those workouts anyways, so my waterproof ebook reader on the side of the pool must do. And maybe I’ll switch to Finis Smart goggles, as they are supposedly better readable when near sighted.

But back to training plans. I too read the training bible and have started “planning” the time until the next 70.3 in phases and such with 3 weeks training and 1 week recovery and tests (FTP, critical swim speed, running, …)

But other than the swim workouts which I took from FORM both cycling and running are only placeholders with load on suggested days.

So regarding actual workouts for running and cycling I’d be open for advice.

Hi There!
I did 70.3 Cervia on Sept. 17th.
I was ready to control the swim and bike and then run in 5 m/km but as it was very hot and I did not feel 100% the run became 6 m/km :thinking:
This weekend I was supposed to race at Challenge Egnazia in Southern Italy (with strong winds of 32 km/h…- sidenote :nauseated_face: ) but yesterday they informed me that today’s flight was canceled due to a major strike of the ground personnel in Italy… Tried to find another way to reach Bari but nothing to do… Was not meant to be…not easy to digest after all the preparation…
Now I will just focus on the new season.

1 Like

Hi there!

Sounds like you’ve had quite an adventure lately! Dealing with unexpected challenges like flight cancellations can be tough, especially when you’ve put in so much effort preparing for a race.

Although missing Challenge Egnazia is disappointing, your positive attitude about focusing on the new season is commendable. Every race experience, successful or not, offers valuable lessons and opportunities for growth.

If you’re looking for resources to help with your upcoming races, I recently stumbled upon a comprehensive guide called “Iron Will: Comprehensive Guide to Dominating the Half Ironman” on Amazon. It covers everything from training strategies to race day tips for aspiring triathletes tackling the half Ironman distance. It might come in handy as you gear up for your next season.

Wishing you the best of luck in your training and future races!

here’s the ebook

Cheers!

I don’t agree that a standard training plan won’t get that time. My partner did 4:30 on a lumpy course and did her own training, loosely referencing the standard training plans you find in magazines and the like. That was here first 70.3 and is early 40s.

People, while having different abilities, can get a long way with regular, productive exercise.

Congratulations to your partner, that is a super time! It is always a question of where you start and what your physical conditions and abilities are.
The question is now how to improve from the 4h30min?
There a personalized plan is needed as big improvements will be difficult to reach.

May I ask what is you weekly TSS? I plan to train for my first 70.3, and I find some websites saying that weekly TSS should be larger than 500. But I feel tired I do so (before last winter my weekly TSS is around 300).