Intervals.icu downtime (resolved)

Intervals.icu was inaccessible due to DNS issues this morning and a good part of the afternoon. Google closed my cloud account without warning and that is where the DNS is hosted. I have moved DNS to another provider to get the site up. I eventually found out that Google requires verification of my identity and home address. I have submitted the docs but the review could take 48 hours.

No data has been lost and it looks like webhooks (notifications for new activities and wellness data) were received normally.

Some things are still not working:

• Email notifications
  • Message attachments
  • Profile pictures (once they are out of cache)

Sorry for the inconvenience. I hope Google reinstate my account soon.

Update 21:08 (GMT+1): Google have approved my documents and I have been able to re-open the account. Thanks everyone for the support.

92 Likes

Thank you so much for your hard work and making such a brill app!!!

9 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate your hard work and your dedication.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update. This does bring up the question of what happens if you are incapacitated. Is there a plan for what would happen to Intervals?

2 Likes

Yes there is. A friend of mine (software engineer + cyclist) runs a company using many of the same technologies as Intervals.icu. I have an agreement with him that should something happen to me he will run the site. There is a big document with all the necessary accounts and so on.

I will be working on Intervals.icu full time from the end of the year and “not just me” is a top priority.

58 Likes

I work in cloud computing (devops-ish role) - the company I work for had some older Google accounts that got suspended recently in the same way (they are having a crackdown on unverified accounts and personal accounts used for business etc.). It actually took us a couple of weeks to get through to anyone at Google, and we had issues for the duration! Luckily you seem to only use it for DNS and some object storage…!

2 Likes

Also, kudos for running such an awesome service with “just you”. Top drawer :ok_hand:

4 Likes

No worries, glad it’s back up and running. keep up the great work!

1 Like

Hopefully nothing happens, but glad to hear you have a plan in place.

Thanks everyone. Google have reviewed my documents and re-instated my account. So everything except emails should be working now. I am busy sorting that out.

11 Likes

Emails should be resolved since I just got one.

1 Like

I felt lost when everything disappeared… but asked nothing because it would have been quite annoying I know. :slight_smile: Thanks @david for the great job as usual!

1 Like

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

This is such a day when you know what a vital role intervals.icu plays in your life! :innocent::partying_face:

5 Likes

Yes indeed, mine skipped a beat. Grateful for your efforts!

1 Like

uff, big heart stopp moment this morning as intervals was down… thank david for getting it up again so quickly. background of the map view is still not working right now… just wanting to let you know, but take all the time – this must have been very stressful.

Thanks. I have just fixed this.

Good to see the site is up and running again. Must have a stressful day. Make sure to enjoy your weekend.

1 Like

Thank you for the speedy resolution. Luckily I could get an ip from cached dns so updated a hosts file! Maybe there could be a status page on separate infrastructure that tweets issues, even though it’s so rare

I should have tweeted sooner. I did an update on Facebook because lots of people were messaging there but forgot about Twitter until quite a bit later.

I now have DNS hosted outside of Google. I will move that back to Google (some things need API access to it) soon but will keep the “backup” up to date.

2 Likes