Inigo San Milan Zone 4: Where is starts?

Guys,
Inigo is pretty clear saying that Z2 is the range where the FatMáx occurs. But where starts Z4 and Z5? The Long intervals he prescribes, like zone 4, starts when Fat oxidation is 0?

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/George-Brooks-10/publication/317660005_Assessment_of_Metabolic_Flexibility_by_Means_of_Measuring_Blood_Lactate_Fat_and_Carbohydrate_Oxidation_Responses_to_Exercise_in_Professional_Endurance_Athletes_and_Less-Fit_Individuals/links/59d50b87458515140ee43a53/Assessment-of-Metabolic-Flexibility-by-Means-of-Measuring-Blood-Lactate-Fat-and-Carbohydrate-Oxidation-Responses-to-Exercise-in-Professional-Endurance-Athletes-and-Less-Fit-Individuals.pdf

I read the article on Training Peaks but it doens’t share to much about how to prescribe the other zones, just talks about zone 2. Do you mean the table of zones showing Z4 and above just Carbohidrates?

I meant only to point you to the little information Dr San Millán gives about higher intensity zones. IIRC, he provides a bit more info in one of his convos with Dr Attia. But he doesn’t seem to give (as) much importance to exactly defining Z4/5. In some of his tweets and replies he has indicated that he used to clearly define upper threshold intensities for training prescriptions, and has indicated his general agreement with Dr Seiler and Alan Couzens (although with occasional caveats in the case of AC). In his convo with Peter he appears to feel that there’s far too much emphasis on defining upper zone(s) and not enough on lower intensities.

2 Likes

Thanks for the papers!
I know that Inigo says that the best training for lactate clearence and to be a better athlete is zone 2, where the FatMax occurs and we can improve the mitocrondia function. But if you are racing, Inigo says also that you need those high levels of intensity. I wanted to know how he defines the zones to train the high intensity. I know that in training camps they do Zone 3 as well, maybe for preparing that high intensity cause in zone 3 you use both fat and glycolisis. And then he prescribes more intensity, closer to race season.
Btw, by this science papers, studies and literature, I don’t understand that guys that do all mixed training plans with sprints a lot, zone 3 plus zone 4, more sprints… all year long and they still are good as hell! Maybe genetics?

The mixed training above LT1 is layered upon many years of consistent aerobic foundation. :wink: (That’s what many people don’t understand about how elite athletes can do more Z3 than is healthy for the majority of people. They’ve earned the right to be at that higher intensity because the body is so fit that it recovers faster. And that they still do lots of Z1.)

3 Likes

The fastest guy I know (an amateur) doesn’t even have a power meter. He rides a lot and all by feel. There is no amount of scientific training that will make me as strong as him, thats why I write software for a living :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’m not talking about that. The elite and professional focus is Z2, there is no point on discussing that. What makes them elite and professional is the aerobic zone!
The mixed training I was talking about is this:

Not even 1 good pro rider has this kinda training.

Being the best guy you know doens’t mean he is training the right way, imagine then if he was!

Tweet something to Inigo and see if you get an answer.

About what, zone 4? I already did when he posted the video with João Almeida doing zone 4. Viewed and not responded ahah

1 Like

Guesstimate : zone 4 is ~FTP

That’s the historical view for power zones as defined by Coggins et al. But keep in mind that the actual zones are dependent upon energy systems and those are highly variable per athlete.

1 Like

Thanks Howie, just watched it and responds to my questions!!! HUGE THANKS

1 Like