IndieVelo - Zwift alternative

For those looking for a Zwift alternative, IndieVelo is now in public beta, and it has intervals.icu integration. It’s free for the time being.

Many positives over Zwift - corner dynamics, server-side positioning, customisable HUD, super-fast development, wind and draft dynamics that you feel on the trainer, etc etc.

11 Likes

Looks great so far but didn’t manage to check out actual riding yet. Intervals.icu integration only extends to activity uploads so far. It would be nice if automatically fetching planned workouts will be added too.

2 Likes

For sure. Luckily as both platforms have an API first approach, it should come at some point in the future.

can recommend!

1 Like

Are people liking IndieVelo more now after a couple months of development? Curious to hear people’s thoughts!

I’ve been really enjoying IndieVelo since late June. It helps keep my 3x weekly trainer rides more engaging.

I’d like to be able to differentiate human/bots and have more room to roam/MTB routes, but its a new Beta app so it would be silly to demand much more than they are already delivering and continue to polish.

Have you used Zwift before - that is where I would be coming from (like most people)?

Do you enjoy the more comprehensive physics like cornering speed, wind, extra, or is it fairly unnoticeable or even worse…annoying?

I like the idea of IndieVelo more than Zwift, but if there are not lots of people to race against yet it kind of defeats the purpose of the more accurate race physics

1 Like

I’m ex-zwift and I like the IV physics a lot more. Drafting feels more natural, slowing to corner is logical. The wind thing works and adds an interesting element to racing.

Human population is small but you can always race a field of bots and yes, they will crush you eventually.

3 Likes

I’ve been a user of Zwift since the beta. (and before that trainer road). I am now 99.9% on indievelo. it’s simply better if you want more realistic riding and lots of races that are fun and balanced to your ability once you’ve been on it for a while. RGT riders en masse have joined in the last few weeks and have brought their events to the platform. Anti Cheat mechanisms are built in to the core platform, they are not bolt ons. A great experience.

1 Like

Are you racing mostly bots still?

No. one event last weekend had over 200 human riders :slight_smile: (and there’s nothing wrong with the bots! they are not zwift bots…)

Good interface , for create custom workouts ? Pairing devices and calibration ? More " heavy " than zwift?

1 Like

Did my first workout on Thursday. First impression is that it’s very Zwift-like in the layout, but just greener.

Might continue using it while it’s still free, although an outside ride is still better especially since it’s the height of summer. Will see what the climbing is like compared to Zwift.

1 Like

You can load and run custom workouts but there is no workout builder. There is a small library of IV workouts in the system.

4 Likes

In IndieVelo second power source recording data to the field named as ‘Powermeter Power’.
How to create custom field, that conained average of ‘Powermeter Power’?

Actions -Settings. Under ignore power you can set a second stream.

I mean fields of intervals.

If you want interval fields, you need to load the stream, because the calculation is on the fly. If you want an average for the complete workout, you can do it with a custom field.

I think he means, ‘how can I see the powermeter data from indieVelo in intervals.icu’

1 Like

Click Charts → Custom Streams and search:

Click that to add it to your activity.

Then you can add a custom chart I created comparing the traces:

3 Likes