Increasing fat burning đŸ”„

Hello,

since we have no clear vision in race resuming, I am building new goals and I’d like to aim at long endurance events.

I want to improve my fat burning.

I have done a met cart test and I am not a born fat burner (I already knew that). My FATMAX is around 2,75 W/kg (175W) at 67% of max HR.

I can make some nutrition adjustments but I like bread too much and it’s deep rooted in my French culture.

I sometimes train fasted, I try to avoid eating on easy endurance rides, I do some turbo workouts in the FATMAX zone (1h) and do some 3x10 min just above FATMAX at 200W. I often do these workouts at low cadence.

I read the book on metabolic efficiency, I find some good stuff and others stuffs I don’t see myself doing.

Have you guys some experience on real improvements on this subjects ? With measurements?

Thanks

1 Like

I would say although there are some things you can do to improve fat burning ability, don’t overlook simply trying to improve your FTP or 2nd Lactate Threshold. Your LT1 and LT2 are highly correlated, so if you improve your FTP you will be at a “fatmax” zone at higher intensities.

I would look fuelling some more intense Sweetspot and Vo2 workouts with plenty of carbohydrates before and during. Perhaps on the first day of a training block when well rested. Then following that day with some lower intensity days with moderate to low carbohydrate intake. This will help you utilise more fat as an energy source. here is an infographic on how to achieve that kind of thing:

and some more useful infomation here:

https://science4performance.com/tag/fuel-for-the-work-required/

I would recommend taking in some protein before “fasted” training sessions if you aren’t doing this already, as it prevents some of the catabolic nature of the session. And try to limit them to just 1-2 days/week. They create a lot of cortisol in the body and can be a way to burn out quickly.

apart from a specific “fatmax” training zone I would prioritise volume in your training. if you are doing 5h+ endurance rides in Z1/2 you will be teaching your body to burn fat and helping build the endurance you need for long events

2 Likes

thank you for your insights, I know I might be stubborn but I find nutritional intervention too complicated. As an amateur, it’s already complicated to schedule my workouts, I don’t see myself calculate all the calories and macros I take or I am gonna turn crazy

Me too and I am not French! When we were on holiday in Le Bourg-d’Oisans a couple of years ago, our self-catering had a checklist with 20 different sorts of bread on it, tick the ones you want and its magically outside your door next day at 8am. Awesome!

3 Likes

Great place for cycling ! https://www.strava.com/activities/3873937701

btw when I get a notification mail, if I click on the link on my iPhone, it opens Safari and I get the {“status”:401,“error”:“Unautorized”}

I knew that xert calculates how many calories come from burnt fats and how many from hydrocarbons.
Interesting function, actually, how do they calculate it?

Xert is really bad at estimating this for me

https://www.nfkb0.com/2020/06/17/xert-carbfat-model-from-baron-biosystems-is-not-for-me/

you will find some explanations above ^^

Yes unfortunately at the moment you need to login to Intervals.icu and then go to the forums. I still need to sort that out.

@nfkb Unfortunately, increasing your ability to utilize fat as a fuel source comes mostly from nutrition (some experts say it’s 75% nutrition, 25% training, reference Bob Seebohar). It doesn’t have to be complicated, and it’s certainly no fun counting calories, or having to give up bread! The simplest way to achieve what’s necessary is to increase your protein and fat intake. So before reaching for the bread, think about what protein and fat you want to have with it. Then, simply try to match physical size of the protein with the bread. Example, a lot of athletes eat chicken and rice. Most will fill a bowl with rice then add in some chicken so you’re left with mostly rice and a bit of chicken. Just reverse that thinking and start with as much chicken as you can, then match the physical size of the chicken with rice. Then include some kind of healthy fats (oils, avocado, nuts, etc.). Try to incorporate this into every meal during training. When it comes time for that hard day (a race, hard group ride, whatever), be sure to then load up on that bread. Thus, ‘periodizing’ your nutrition for those harder events. Make sense? Have at a look here: http://www.metabolicefficiency.org/

thank you for your answer, I am currently reading Bob Seebohars’ book. I seek training advices and the book is full of nutritional dogma and anecdatas :-/ I wished I could find more science based strategies.

Nevertheless, I counted calories for a day. It was a day off work so it was easier to train and count calories.
No restricting on nothing I ate what seems quite usual for me

carb 310 g (36% kcal) ; fat 180 g (48%) ; prot 137g (16%)
I weight 63 kg / 139 pounds and I spent roughly 1000 kcal through training that day.

For sure I could cut some carb in there but I feel like at will have to drink olive oil at some point to have my calories needs when training. I am more on the side of finding good training workouts to improve endurance/FATMAX. Shifting my fatmax toward more power output (above 3 W/kg would be great)

tl;dr I feel ok to train hard but lazy to suffer in turning my nutrition upside down for an hypothetical gain.

@nfkb Ha, you certainly don’t need to drink the olive oil (but some actually do) as it simply isn’t needed. Some better options might be full fat Greek yogurts, nuts, cheese, nut butters and avocado. As far as training advice, there’s no real magic. Based on the type of events you do (long endurance) and your goal (improve fat burning), I’d suggest polarizing your training. Make about 90% of your training at 65% maxHR and try to extend one day a week as long as you can. Shorter days you can do over/unders like 4m @ 65% max HR (or power associated with 65%) and 1m @ a power that takes you up to around 80% maxHR. And then about 5% of time you can do VO2 work where you’re spending 12-24m @ VO2. VO2 work is best performed at interval times that YOU prefer. Some prefer shorter intervals, some prefer longer. Stick to what you like. Not knowing your experience level, VO2 work should be about an 8 for RPE (and suggest using RPE over % of FTP as power will come up as you improve). Respiration should be high. HR should fall in the 90-94% range. Rest interval should be about 1:1 or 1:1.5. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thank you for your interest.
I already do mostly easy stuff, intervals.icu says my zone repartition is roughly 80-15-5
I do long rides on the week-end, mostly without eating
I do a lot fo workouts like 1h @ fatmax or 3x10 min 25 watts just above fatmax. Most of them early in the morning, fasted.
I do jogs in the fasted state, I sometime swim in the fasted state.
When I do VO2 I do 15x1 min @ max aerobic power or 4x8 min @ 106% FTP -> 92% maxHR
But I guess my genetic is against me since I have seen no progress in fatmax according to met cart test (done fasted)

1 Like

I get this question a lot from athletes doing The Absa Cape Epic, which is a long 7 day multi stage mtb race.

Long Slow Distance is often prescribed, BUT careful zone setting on both HR and Power is needed and it is constantly needing to be monitored and adjusted. My advice, ride in Z2 HR, watch your power and try ride the highest power you can without going out of Z2. This power number you can hold for a long period (1-2 hours) we will from this point refer to as your "LOW FTP “. Your “High” FTP number will be higher and you burn sugar to hold that Number. The " LOW FTP” you should only burn FAT to hold it. As you get stronger and fitter by sticking to this Z2 HR you will see a rise in the power you can hold. Most people do this phase of their training poorly, by riding to high a HR and to low an actual power. This method of mine is a grind it’s focussed and it’s draining. Mostly in the beginning you will be low cadence to keep the output HIGH on power and HR low. As you get stronger the cadence can increase. Hope this helps.

Also be patient as this is like training, to become a sprinter. It takes time, consistency and dedication to get it right. It will take a month of doing 2-3 long rides per week like this to see an improvement .
Intervals 3 times a week will help you burn fat, but won’t help you increase you ability to maximise fat as an energy source!

1 Like

Thanks a lot, you’re putting word on what I am reflecting for a few weeks. I have listened a lot to podcasts with Inigo San Millan and get this high zone 2 thing. I am on the edge of buying a lactate pro meter ahaha to stay < 2 mmol.L-1

I have started to summarize my strategy here
http://www.nfkb0.com/2020/09/23/training-strategy-for-2021/

1 Like

I enjoyed reading your blog. Some interesting thoughts. I can only suggest that you don’t “OVERTHINK” things and keep things simple. Too many athletes will use too much data and get stuck.

1 Like

ah ah ah you are right ! You’ve got a good diagnostic ! datawaterboarding as Joel Filliol said one day in his podcast !

But I admit it’s part of my pleasure to plan and think about these hypothesis. A key thing is just to avoid putting the plan upside down every 15 days because of a new idea. A balance between flexibility and discipline I guess

thanks again

PS is it readable for english native people ? I mean I am not used to write blog post in english and try to do it more and more

1 Like

Your English writing was fine, I could follow everything !!

1 Like

PS I think I have understood something about FATMAX. It’s a kind of confusion factor between FATMAX, the idea of burning fat, and the zone where mitochondria/TCA cycle work the most. So it not than I need that much to improve fat burning capacities than training in this zone where mitochondria is highly stimulated and then hope for adaptations and growth and aerobic capacity (size number and mitochondria machinery). And with growth of aerobic capacity comes more fat burned for same absolute effort. This is also why it’s better to clamp a workout to RPE and/or HR since when you work close to turn point you are highly likely to drift in another zone where mitochondria can’t process the lactate anymore and you fatigue much quicker both short term and long term. So it’s maybe not that much about tinkering with nutrition and fast (also I don’t see much a problem of fat availability in studies, more a challenge to get through the beta oxidation process) but more of discipline to work in the right zone.

2 Likes

Yes, you have understood this absolutely perfectly. It’s actually very simple to do. Ride low HR monitor it, but try push as much power as you can and don’t let the cardio drift to next zone.