In need of training advice after eFTP increased by 35w

I went for a PR on a local climbing segment (345w for 5:32 min) and as a result, my eFTP increased by 35 watts.
I follow a structured training plan (two interval days + three to four days zone 2 rides) on 9-14 hours per week (fitness at 75). During the summer my rest weeks are followed by 130k gravel races. For this reason, I have not completed an FTP test during the last three months. My last 20-min test was at the end of April on an indoor trainer (eFTP 233w). During the last weeks, I noticed my 7m intervals always increased my eFTP (up to an eFTP of 250w). Given the recent increase of my eFTP to 283w I wonder how I should adjust my training intensity.

Zone 2: I usually ride at 165-175w on long rides. Based on my new eFTP I should up my wattage to 183-198 which would mean training at a much higher HR than usual.

Vo2Max efforts: During the last weeks I did two efforts: 4x7min at 115% (285w) and 4x4min at 120% (300w) [with 4 min rest between intervals]. Adjusting this to my new eFTP would mean efforts at 325w and 345w respectively which I don’t think I could repeat 4 times.

Now my question is whether/how I should adjust the intensity of my rides or do I just stay at my current intensity?
Happy to provide access to my training - I just don’t know how to do it.

1 Like

Use HR as target for your Z2 rides.
Increase step by step for your VO2max workouts. it’s better to be a bit low and finish all repeats then having to cancel half-way. Try 300 and 320 for example. If it can be completed with something left in the tank, add another 10 w next time or even better, add an extra interval to train capacity at that level.

3 Likes

Thanks! Very helpful advice.

At what should I set my FTP? Same as my eFTP or lower? If FTP = eFTP my zone 2 rides are computed as zone 1 and my training load is lower than if I keep my FTP at say 250w.

Ride on feel. If it feels easy you’re doing it right. You should be able to hold a normal conversation without having pause for a breath or two; for the full ride.

Whatever the power and HR is, is what it is.

2 Likes

Learn how hard you can go, where the power (and HR) would be almost (consistently) equal across all efforts. You’ll get it wrong a few times, and that’s how you will learn. Easy should be easier than you think, and harder rides like VO2 should be as hard as you can go.

Of one day hard is 110%, and another day it’s 115%, then that’s okay. But don’t limit yourself on a number or range.

2 Likes

And if you need 5-mins between intervals instead of 4-mins, then take the extra minute rest. (VO2 workouts).

3 Likes

Thanks, Gerald! Very useful advice! I always thought I should aim to reduce the rest period between intervals but I also realized that you can’t increase the wattage and reduce rest at the same time :wink:

If you are progressively increasing the duration of your workouts, yes, you can reduce recovery time between intervals or lengthen them or add an interval. That would be over the course of your season/block depending on individual requirements.

As you get better (performance) in doing the workouts, you’re able to hold more power, for longer, with less time between efforts. But that’s not necessarily required if the goal is maintaining a certain level of fitness. So it is all dependent on the desired outcome.

1 Like