I can't progress anymore on the fitness chart. What do?

Just my opinion, but I find using those words for CTL and ATL very convoluted and don’t make things much clearer, especially ‘fitness’ and ‘form’. They’re some ways removed from everyday use of those terms.

I hear wahoo fitness watch calculates such things and takes away all this guess work

Haven’t heard or seen complaints regarding the Wahoos not even along the lines of blood oxygen levels or correct heart rates or anything else perhaps used for a consistent power meter number​:people_wrestling::joy:. Sorry BE IT

See threshold training chat forum

Have a read here… What is the Performance Management Chart?

I would (as always) start with your goals. Don’t chase CTL…increasing it does not always mean increased ‘fitness’ - like TSS, fitness can be achieved in many ways…

1 Like

My goal is 6w/kg. I’m at 4.1 now.

Yes i get it that’s not the goal many would choose but increasing my w/kg is what I’m experimenting with now.

Just to clarify… 6w/kg for what duration? I don’t know your history or what level you are at now but that is World Tour level w/kg

1 Like

40-60min.

My best 30 minute power ever was 5.3w/kg so I don’t think 6 is far off.

Those terms are registered trademarks of TrainingPeaks, and cannot be used without permission. TrainingPeaks themselves also call it Fitness, Fatigue and Form.

It should be medium-term load and short-term load, where medium is defaulted to 42 days and short is 7 days.

It doesn’t work like that.

2 Likes

I didn’t know they were registered trademarks. Silly world we live in, to require permission to use certain words or phrases. Must be possible to come up with good alternatives though. I know cyclinganalytics.com uses the terms LTS (long term stress), STS (short term stress), and SB (stress balance).

When did you start riding and what age are you now? 6w/kg for those durations will put you with the best in the world…

It’s much the same thing, with a different name. Understanding how each works, including the pitfalls of using it in isolation, is more important than what it’s called.

Have you read the Guide section, on the fitness page?

1 Like

16+ year ago began racing bikes.

Awesome - who do you race for now and what is your plan?

Thanks. That’s not really the topic of this thread. I think my question has been answered and the only thing I can do to keep moving forward is to extend out my duration/weekly kj.

OK! Good luck. Keep us posted on how you get on :+1:t3:

No and yes, in that order…
If you can increase duration, sure. But you will somewhere reach a maximum. And that still doesn’t mean that you can’t improve performance. There’s plenty of people progressively increasing performance without that being visible on the Fitness chart.
If you somehow need a chart that shows that you are progressively doing more work, then use something ‘Work’ related. Doing similar hours and intensity will be shown as a plateau on the Fitness chart, but if performance goes up (FTP increase) the total Work done in those hours will still increase. If it makes you feel better to see a permanently increasing chart, use that. It will only show a plateau, once you are no longer able to increase FTP, VO2, … But the chart will become shallower when you’re getting closer to your limits.
But absolutely avoid to consistently increase intensity for the sake of getting a higher Fitness number. That’s the spiral of death…
Don’t remember who’s quote it was, but it is 100% inline with my opinion:
“Measure performance by directly measuring performance”.
Not by measuring indirect parameters that would/should improve performance. Those should be tweaked to make sure that performance increases.

3 Likes

Andy Coggan? “The best predictor of performance is performance itself”

1 Like

Nah I think i’ll just keep pushing CTL up for given FTPs by increasing volume and maintaining intensity until I can reset my FTP at 5w/kg. I’ll report back in 6 months to this thread and we can check on my “death spiral.” Lol.

That’s the one!

Topic closed at request of OP.