HRV Wellness Fields

The old HRV field was meant to be rMSSD but wasn’t labelled as such. It is now. There is also a HRV (SDNN) field if thats what your device spits out. SDNN is what is used by Apple Health. Click the “Fields” button at the bottom of the wellness dialog to chose which fields you want to capture:

On the calendar page you can click “Options” and then “Wellness” to decide which ones to display:

These can all be plotted on the /fitness page on custom charts.

5 Likes

David,

Thanks. I was thinking about which HRV would be more appropriate to enter here, as I do a supine and a standing reading. I always thought capturing both in an orthostatic mode would provide more information on autonomic modulation of heart rate. There’s been lot of recent studies on the value of both types of measurements. Perhaps a future addition could be inclusion of “standing” and “supine” options in the Wellness menu to provide more context to this recording.

RG

2 Likes

Hi @david

Is possible to add a field for Perfusion Index

Regards

I have added this to the todo list for next time I do a batch of new wellness fields.

2 Likes

Newer Garmin devices have a single Stress percentage value rather than giving the actual HRV values. Any harm putting a 0-100 value in the SDNN field for instance?

Infact - front page for the Garmin health API suggests you might already be getting that data from garmin.
Stress & Body Battery I think would be potentially useful to have.
https://developer.garmin.com/gc-developer-program/health-api/

You can put whatever value passes the validation into those HRV fields but it would be nicer to have real fields for extra things for future work.

The stress data returned by the API is difficult to process. It gives you stress at different times of the day for different durations, not a single summary number.

1 Like

Could we have an average for the day? That’s how the connect iQ app shows it.

Similarly sleep score, pulse ox.

Or another way would be to be able to define a timestamp e.g 8:00am and take the data which is available for this time stamp. so it would assure similarity in getting the data.
Average over the day depends on so much factors including the training you did on this day etc.

Edit Addon:
There is a nice little IQ App called Test HRV - which writes a fit file after doing a 3min HRV test. The .fit file includes also the RMSSD fields - what would be nice if there would be a way to use this .fit file and insert the value into the wellness data.

I’m sceptical about that IQ addon. It uses wrist heartrate-data and can’t connect to a strap. HR data from optical sensors is a challenge and most manufacturers heavily filter the signal to extract the heartbeats. I wouldn’t trust the HRV data from such a source. One missed beat can make a huge difference! But technology keeps evolving so I’m not going to judge without having the results from a good comparison.

Fully agree and I will test it in comparison with EliteHRV, to validate accuracy in next days.

However, since Garmin is calculating a lot of figures based on Firstbeat technology, I assume they measure HRV anyhow “internally”, but obviously do not offer any User accessible information.
Not sure what the Garmin Developer API delivers, but as @David mentioned above it seems to be a little complicated.

apologies if this has already been covered. I’m thinking of the Garmins “Body Battery” reading. It might be useful to put into the readiness field whatever your body battery reading was at the beginning of your workout. This could then lend itself to show trends over time of how you might have gone against your ‘readiness’

1 Like

Is it possible to have the same order for the health fields? Humor and Hidration starts from the “top/best” instead of the worse like the others, see screenshot.

Looks like Garmin sleep score is now incorporated as of Wed 9th. Thanks David

1 Like

How do I import HRV readings? I wear polar H10 during exercise and use the Kubios app to get a daily “readiness to train” measurement.

Manually - as there is currently no Kubios app integration (if this is even possible).

This is what I do daily using a Polar H10 and EliteHRV app

What about the HRV rMSSD and SDNN fields? (FWIW, I have “log HRV” set on my garmin watch and bike computer. Is there a way to see that data for an activity when I use a polar h10?)

Yes, I enter these manually also.

Check the available fields which can be shown on an activity - go to Activity > Fields at the bottom. I just had a quick look and I don’t think Garmin HRV log data points are available

You can’t currently plot HRV for an activity but that data is stored for future use.

I also use EliteHRV with Polar H10 strap. I haven’t started adding it to intervals.icu though and would like to somehow try to get the Resting HR, HRV, and Readiness Score into intervals.icu

1 Like

I found that you can export all the data very easily from the EliteHRV app, which sends you a link and downloads a zip file. The file has a bunch of txt documents for each day with RR intervals as per attached. @david is there any way intervals.icu could import in this zip file and use the data to update wellness HRV data for the days in the zip file? See screenshot of file format within the zip and some sample data.

1 Like