HRV in Fitness tab

Hi David,
Newbie here. I am basically an amateur triathlete and one metric that I use that is very useful for me is HRV (heart rate variability). I use the HRV4 Training app hrv4t.com which basically measures my HRV in the morning. The app also is able to read workouts from Strava/Training Peaks and based on my subjective tagging it gives me some day to day or long trerm correlations with training load, stress and morning readiness (HRV score and rmssd score). I was wondering if you would consider importing the HRV rmssd metric into the Fitness tab.

Cheers,
Alex

References:
#1: https://medium.com/@marco_alt/the-ultimate-guide-to-heart-rate-variability-hrv-part-1-70a0a392fff4
#2: https://medium.com/@marco_alt/the-ultimate-guide-to-heart-rate-variability-hrv-part-2-323a38213fbc
#3: https://www.plewsandprof.com/single-post/2017/03/12/HRV-profiles-of-elite-and-age-group-Ironman-champions-–-detecting-positive-adaptation

3 Likes

I have mailed HRV4 Training guys re API integration and will see what they say.

I have tried tracking HRV myself but didn’t have much luck with the using the camera on my iPhone. Was making me stressed just trying to get a reading in the AM! What device are you using to monitor this?

I received a reply from HRV4 Training. Unfortunately they don’t have an API and push data to TP because a lot of people have asked for it. They don’t think this is a good idea however.

Thank you for your message and interest in HRV4Training. We do not have APIs, so coaches need to use our Pro platform to analyze the data. The only way you currently have to integrate the data is via the csv file that can be exported from Pro, but obviously that needs to be manually loaded into your platform.

We do consider custom integrations with other platforms when we have a large enough critical base from our users demanding it. As an example, we push data to TrainingPeaks, however, this does not really provide value (in my opinion) as it’s all decontextualized, not interpreted with respect to normal values, there is no analysis of the CV or other relevant parameters either (for long term trends for example). “pushing HRV” is in our opinion only harmful to the entire field as it does not help anyone making sense of the data (due to the reasons explained above), which is why Pro should be used (and indeed most people integrating our app with TP, then use Pro regardless).

All the best
Daniel

Thanks for the follow up David!

I’m using HRV4Training app, but you can also use a polar H7/H10 or Garmin HRM strap. They should be just fine but it may take few measurements to get used with it.
Try to relax a little before taking the measurements and measure for at least 1 min (I use 3 mins to make sure the HR gets stabilised).

Too bad that they don’t have an API. As far as I can tell, it isn’t a big company just a project derived from the owner’s Ph.D which got traction. You can contact also https://elitehrv.com (if you have time ofc). They have more integrations and a big team behind the project and they do basically the same (measure HRV, add context to it and show trends over the year). I think they might have an API behind.

Cheers,
Alex

I contacted EliteHRV some time ago about integration. They do have an API but getting access involves some legal agreements and they wanted to know what data Intervals.icu can give them, so I put it on pause.

Myself I am monitoring HRV (not frequently) with the Wahoo tickrx and the Elite HRV app.
Perhaps you can exchange data withthose Guys!?

3 Likes

Since Hrv4Training can export a .CSV file maybe there is a way we can import it on intervals.icu side? I can send you a demo file with my measurements if it helps.

How about adding daily data fields to enter this info manually? FTP, weight, resting HR and HRV can be treated in the same way. (I also find FTP and weight editing very confusing at the moment) There are other quantities one might want to track — e.g., sleep? calories in?

Or I can show how to automagically export intervals.icu data into Google Sheets to get something like this:

Thanks for the API, @david!

1 Like

I would like to look at that file please. I don’t even know what the units are for HRV at this point :slight_smile:

There are a bunch of fields I want to add along these lines. I have to solve the “how to show them in the UI” problem. Likely an “advanced” setting to enable extra activity fields so as not to overwhelm new users.

Is it sufficient to track these on a per activity basis? Then you have no record for days without any activities but is very easy for me to implement that way but maybe I should put in more work and store these non-activity fields separately.

@david, adding meta fields to calendar entries would be extremely flexible (e.g., one might want to track variability throughout the day). But I think you need a separate modal for that – like in TrainingPeaks. In short, “note”, “set eFTP” (and other metadata) categories of calendar entries should move to a separate button “Track data”.

On the Fitness page, you can add an optional plot panel for each of these metadata streams

what software is that? :smiley:

Google Sheets. I’ve written a script that imports data from here and analyzes it without bugging David too much :blush:

3 Likes

This is a sample of my exported data from HRV4Training app. it is basically a CSV with all those fields.

Useful metric in my opinion:
HR - this is the resting HR in the morning
time - time of measurement
rMSSD - Root Mean Square of the Successive Differences ( RMSSD ) - very useful
HRV4T_Recovery_Points: the overall score- very important. Basically this needs to be with 1 decimal, not that ugly float (I guess their UI does a cast there)
Daily HRV message - also important since you need to corelate their advice with what you did the previous day.

Technically all that data is useful but this would mean building a platform around it :slight_smile:

I use Whoop to track HRV. It is a wearable that reads HR and HRV and sleep cycles and respiratory rate. Wear it 24h if desired, but at least at night. It calculates HRV and RHR during last Deep Sleep Cycle. So, no stress associated with taking it because it takes it while resting, not after you wake and brain is already worried about the day. They then use their own formula to give you a “Recovery” score on which you should base the amount of strain you take on for the day. I find the data useful but don’t rely solely on it. I think one still needs to take into consideration how you feel. Be in tune with your body. And, understand why your score may be high or low, and take all this into consideration when deciding how hard to train.

I think I will have to do that soon. Not too hard but needs to be completely generic for tracking any kind of daily data.

2 Likes

Hi David, did you get any further with the EliteHRV API? The number of any value in my opinion is the Readiness Score. This is already adapted to the individual and serves as a good indicator of fatigue / requirement for recovery. It could also be super easy to colour-code it (green to red).

I got as far as getting their API agreement but I didn’t go any further. I have started integrating with Garmin Connect for downloading activities and all sorts of wellness data. I will be making all that happen soon. It’s handy to have a reference as to what is available. Once built it will be easy to add new types of values.

1 Like

Hi David, I use Firstbeat for HRV and Elite. I am part of the Kubios beta test team. I think Firstbeat and Kubios are the best as they use their products in the medical and research fields. In addition, both of them have APIs and collaborate with external parties. The monitoring is done with a heart band and they have apps, very comfortable and easy. Firstbeat is the company that develops the software for Garmin moreover. Garmin has made a capital increase in Firstbeat by taking the majority, so they will be increasingly integrated. I advise you to consult them. If you want I can give you direct contacts

1 Like

Tx I will ping you when I get on this.

The problem with Garmin and HRV is that it only works on newer devices. Elite HRV allow you to use any adequate monitor, and for free.

I’ll check out Kubios as I don’t know much about it.

1 Like