HRV-Guided Training

Can’t we use ANT+ for both?
I simply can not connect my Viiiiva on BLE to my Fenix 5x ( only with him…)

Tks

Unfortunately no.
When you pair it natively to the watch, CIQ apps cannot access to the same sensor. Hence will have to pair it as BLE (the other tranmission signal)

You can do either way, eg:
ANT+ → Garmin
BLE - > alphaHRV

OR

ANT+ → alphaHRV
BLE - > Garmin (natively under sensors)

No you can’t, read the instructions on the IQ app page.
The app needs exclusive acces to the strap in one of the 2 modes, be it BLE or ANT+.
Use the other mode for the native HR.
If that isn’t working for you, you will have to do without the native HR signal or buy another HRM.

Actually it works … with some caveat’s
I just did it.
Later on I’ll post some images.

As I said I just can not pair my Viiiiva with my Garmin Fenix 5x using BLE.

And I would expect not to be able to connect it to alphaHRV either but I’ll try …

Hello,
if extrasystoles are rare there is high chance it’s benign.
The most problematic stuffs are onset of a shortness of breath or pain / discomfort during after an exercise
When extrasystoles there explored for me I wore continuously an EKG device.
If you want to dig a little bit by yourself : frontierX device or Alivecor when feeling something wrong

1 Like

Actually it didn’t …

In the first attempt I’ve got nothing in the app.

In the second attempt I went first to the app page before start the activity and a % bar started to load. After completion HR and alpha showed up and only than I started the activity.

but… but… It turned out that the app “stolen” the HR (ant+) from the watch kkkk because I ended without HR in the Garmin fit file…

At least form me back to square…

regards,

After a series of tests I managed to configure my Garmin Fénix 5X as follows.
Fénix 5X+Polar H10=BLE
alphaHRV+Polar H10=Ant+

1 Like

or edge?

First of all: Viiiiva is supposed to have ANT+ and BLE, so I don’t know why it isn’t working for you. Have you checked for firmware updates? The HRM even has the ANT+ > BLE bridge which would make it possible to use a ANT+only smart trainer on a BLE app…
Second: Viiiiva is capable of storing data on the HRM itself, but that’s as far as I can see limited to one data-point every 5sec. That’s not an RR stream and thus not ok for HRV analysis but it can store a standard HR trace while you have it paired in ANT+ to the IQ app.
Third: Fenix 5x has optical wrist HR. Why don’t you just use that as the native HR? Pair your strap to the IQ app only in ANT+.
I know that the HR from optical is not accurate enough for post-ride HRV analysis but you will at least have a HR trace and the a1 from the app straight to the fit file.
If you happen to have another sports device laying around that can record HRV data, you could use that paired in ANT+, to analyse post-ride in Runalyze.
It’s no problem to have the strap paired to multiple devices in ANT+. But it’s the Garmin that is refusing to pair the same strap multiple times in the same mode. All Garmin’s act like that.
I know, the hassle of two devices isn’t going to please you either… But you will have to make a decision if you are ready or not to invest in another HRM. If your actual HRM/Fenix combo keeps refusing a BLE connection, it isn’t going to work, no matter how many times you ask.
Polar H9 (single BLE), H10 (dual BLE) and the Garmin dual’s are good choices if you want accurate RR streams.
The Polar’s are usualy better supported by the different HRV apps.

alphaHRV app has been updated. The changelog looks very promising.

0.9.10a (20.02.2022)

• Detrending engine is completely revamped. No user configuration is required. Still some tuning by developer will happen

• Artifacts % for each DFA is shown on screen and saved to fit file

• Fixed some minor issues

I’m really thankful your interest in helping.
Yeah I know. That was the reason I bought it years ago…
Fenix 5x firmware is up to date and I can pair my Tickr with him using BLE.
The only combination that is not working is Viiiiva > Fenix 5x on BLE.
Unfortunately the tickr seams not to be a good source for HRV…

Your idea for the optical was awesome. Tks.

Funny though is that I’ve asked for people successful of pairing Fenix 5x > Viiiiva on BLE and haven’t heard so far .

Best regards

I’m not sure if my viiiiva is busted or otherwise, but I can connect it to iPhone via BLE but cannot be discovered by my F5x+ as BLE.

in any case, the reading is wrong. 200bpm lolz

Let’s try to get to the bottom of this. I don’t have any of your devices so I can only make “best guesses”.
First of all, when I talked about firmware updates, I was thinking of the Viiiiva. So launch the Viiiiva app on your phone and thoroughly check if there is somewhere a Firmware update section to make sure that the strap has the latest.
Then, turn your phone off. Completely off, because I don’t want your phone to steal the BLE connection. If you have other devices that can connect in BLE, turn them off also.
Now launch the sensor discovery on your Fenix. If it finds the Viiiiva HRM in ANT+, pair it. Then go to the sensor section and DISABLE the ANT+ sensor. I really mean DISABLE and not DELETE. Launch another sensor discovery on the Fenix and check if the Viiiivo shows up in BLE.
I had some difficulties on my Edge too, when trying to pair Polar H10 in BLE. The above procedure worked for me. Garmin has a tendency of prioritizing ANT+, to the point of ignoring BLE when ANT+ is available. This can be a way of forcing it to use BLE.
If that works, delete the ANT+ sensor from the Fenix sensors and launch the AlphaHRV app to connect the Viiiiva in ANT+.
I’ve been a service engineer for almost 35 years and trying to help people with technical issues became second nature. I still love my job as much as the first day. I can’t find a source online that clearly states that your combination works or not, so I assume it should work.

Can we translate this somehow into running? Does it work the same way and with 0.75?

Hi,

I had checked the Viiiiva firmware and it has the latest

Unfortunately it hasn’t worked.

Thank you any away.

PS: tomorrow I’ll try the optical approach.

yeah… does’t seem like 4iiii is giving any new love to their old VIIIIVA HRms

Sorry, Fénix 5X :wink:

Saw your message on the reviews page of the app.
The easiest way to restart the app is to change to a profile without the app (Running profile for example) and then come back to the profile with app. The app will restart from zero.
For pairing:
Do the initial pairing in an environment where no other sensors can be found. For BLE use “closest”, for ANT+ use “ANY”.
Once paired, change to LAST. The app will only reconnect to the already known sensor.
When you have a new sensor, set back to closest or any.

2 Likes

I am very interested in this. Marco has been saying (https://twitter.com/altini_marco/status/1489152062348840970) that the Garmin DUAL is proving to be as good as the Polar H10 but your experience is saying otherwise? I am really keen to hear more about what you’ve found.
I am wondering if you’re both right and the artefacts you’re seeing aren’t practically significant enough. That is, doesn’t make a real world difference.

Keen to hear your thoughts.
Thanks.

PS Thanks for all you have contributed to this thread. Amazing!