How to shelter training on the chart?

I need to move the start time of the workout so that it syncs with the visible heart rate sensor data.
I start a ride, get to the woods and turn on a prepared workout such as intervals.
But after loading it via strava into intervals, the designated workout zones appear “right at the beginning” without taking into account the actual start time enabled on the meter (I’m using an IGSport BSC 200).

In essence the workout that you actually did does not match the workout that you planned.

What you can do is cut off the first portion of your workout by using the cropping tool under “Actions” at the bottom of the page. Downside to this is that you lose a bit training time that you actually did do.

Another workaround could be to upload the same workout file again and then cropping that one to show the portion that you just cut off from the other file. I’m not sure whether Intervals would handle this as separate workouts or duplicates (depends on the starting time I guess). What you effectively have done now is split your workout in two.

To avoid this issue in the future you could add some time in the beginning of your planned workout to match the time it takes you to get to the woods. Or record you travel time to the woods and your workout in separate files.

2 Likes

From the “Options” menu, The “Workout” offset will allow you to do this. Set the number to the number of seconds after your activity start to when you want the planned workout to begin. (~2000 from the looks of it)

2 Likes

I do agree with @David_R but I´m not 100% sure if you can ´delay´ that much, so I was hesitant to propose this.
Please try and let us know.

1 Like

Oh that’s good to know. Might be the best solution then!

This is an interesting solution, but you can only move a maximum of 780.
So in fact probably remains, the option of separately recording the first part of the training as a commute, and then start training with the planned parameters and possibly continue the turnout.
Thank you very much for your help.
Witek

1 Like

What software do you use to create your workouts? Is there an option in that software to end a first section by a press of the lap button independent of time or distance? In this way, you start the workout at the start of the ride and when you want to start the intervals, you press the lap button and the “actual” workout begins. In that way all your data is aligned.

1 Like

What device are you using on your ride?

Have you thought about editing the planned workout (just click in it and hit edit) and adding the missing time before you actually start with an average intensity - something like: -40m 60%

2 Likes

I use a Garmin Edge 1030. And the Garmin connect site to create the intervals. I also believe that Training Peaks has this capability to set an interval this way.

This is the first step in the workout. You start the workout when you start the ride and when you get to the point that you want the next step in the workout to start, you just touch the lap button.

There is a pause function in the latest Garmin, i.e. 530/540, 830/840, 1030/1040, where you can pause the step and carry on recording the movement.

I have the 530, so no touch screen, so I to press the up button, then top right. Scroll down and the pause step, next step, previous step among other options appear.

I haven’t tried it yet, but have seen it used on YT videos.

I’m guessing this could be used on the recovery step to lengthen the time before getting ready for the work interval, like rolling back down a hill, or stopping at a traffic light.

I am using IGPSport BSC200, I will check at the earliest opportunity if it is possible to use “lap start”, thanks.