Garmin training readiness

There is a field in the wellness box called readiness, but this does not appear as an import option in the garmin settings. How is this populated?

I have the new 955, is it possible to import some of the other new metrics too? Not sure if these are part of the API or not.

1 Like

I think it’s coming from Dropbox, where normally people use HRV4Training to get that value from.

What new metrics from 955? HRV? HRV Status?

Training readiness, Acute load, hrv data, stress, recovery time, body battery etc.

I just checked the latest Garmin Health API documentation and there is no mention of “readiness”, “recovery time”, “body battery” etc… There is some new HRV stuff: lastNightAvg and lastNight5MinHigh. Not sure how useful that is. I haven’t managed to get anything out of the night time HRV data from my Oura ring.

I hope you do integrate this as I am looking to switch from Oura Ring to Garmin for night time HRV with the new HRV status Garmin is releasing.

See more here → Garmin Revamps Training Readiness Abilities and HRV STATUS

2 Likes

The overnight HRV average is the key one they’ve added it seems. This is now the key HRV reading from Garmin, used for training readiness.

Steps would be quite cool to include too.

2 Likes

I calculate my own readiness from my Garmin watch as body battery - recovery time, taken just before I ride. I’m interested to see how this looks over time

I have added some logging I should see what Garmin sends through for this.

Intervals.icu does get HRV from health snapshots already but I hope if someone is using the night time stuff they won’t be doing those?

Yeah the health snapshot is mostly a waste of time now, unless you have interest in the SPO2 part.

1 Like

Side note, Marco’s views on this development from Garmin in this thread.

Hmm the API docs don’t say the “lastNightAvg” is SDNN or rMSSD.

My Garmin account has the new HRV Status for the last week. If you want to use my account to have a poke around @david

I do not trust these overnight Garmin HRV readings at at all - I have been using EliteHRV for years and the Garmin readings seem to bare no relation.

I would not put much faith in a HRV score from a wrist based optical sensor personally.

1 Like

Agree… even on a chest sensor, it’s pretty finicky at least for me to get “Good” signals (Polar H10)

So far, my testing is showing a Garmin Forerunner 255S is matching (or doing better than) a V3 Oura Ring for over night HRV. Marco has been chiming in. I think the original tweet forks off into a few different threads

Marco’s conclusions on this simple experiment.

I have enabled extra logging for your Garmin data.

4 Likes

How did the logs look?

Should I chase up Garmin for more info in the APIs for these new metrics?

Thanks.

Some more info here and Alpha version for Fenix

I am using HRV-Status on my Fenix 7 ((Alpha 9.15 firmware) and find it quite useful.
It would be great if the ’ lastNightAvg’ HRV would become available in intervals.icu to.
That way you can make your own baseline and moving averages and bands to see how you are doing compared to your baseline.
Put it in a custom graph besides your existing ones and you have a great tool to correlate load with recovery.

Currently the HRV rMSSD paramater in intervals.icu is empty although I do have Garmin Health enabled. Is this correct or should it be available and am I doing something wrong?
Thanks! :slight_smile:

2 Likes