Garmin Connect & Strava duplicate handling

@david That new tool for screening out dupes from the calendar list is pretty neat - but it didn’t work for me. It seems as if some, but not all, of the dupes were resolved in favor of GC. So, if I were to use the list to whack the GC uploads from a certain date and earlier, it might have deleted the only entry of that activitity (i.e. - the previously uploaded, identical Strava activity had been automatically whacked in lieu of the GC upload). I think. Anyway, it only seemed to have gone back a couple of months, so I used the weekly calendar view to ID activities that were clearly identical - no idea why those were not automatically de-duped) and whacked one of them. I may have missed one or two but that is no matter to me. But, from this experience, something is not quite perfect in the GC uploads by date and/or the de-dupe algorithm.

Is there any point in only using Strava to grab the name for the activity? I mean, does it help reduce your Strava API calls so you don’t hit the limit? Or is it 1 call just getting the name OR grabbing the file anyway?

Thanks for your great work

@DaveQB I could use the name from Strava and the file from Garmin Connect. That wouldn’t cost any calls. It’s a little murky if I then have to “delete” that data at some point though.

@Todd_Giorgio Glad you got it sorted.

1 Like

I think this might be what Trainer Road does. I imagine lots of users but never hit a Strava API limit. You can click through to the Strava or Garmin original for any workout. Workouts have your renamed (must be from Strava), name.

Some feedback.

I just turned on “Download activities” from Garmin and selected from the 31st of March (today). Today’s workout is marked as from Garmin…but so are workouts from 30th and 29th of March. I checked and all the way back to the 14th of March is all Garmin Connect. I have turned off the Garmin Connect sync option for now.

Thanks!

Hi David,
I’m a bit anxious about moving my imports from Strava to GC (although I think it’s a good move, and I also want to go there).
Is there a way to “backup” my current account-data and “restore” that state in case anything gets messed up in the process?

Unfortunately not. It looks like there might still be an issue with activities being downloaded from Garmin before the date specified (as per David Ward above) but it won’t go back very far. So as long as your last couple of weeks of data on Garmin Connect are good it should be fine.

Duplicated Strava activities will be deleted but you can get them back if needed.

1 Like

That’s too bad, so I’ll need to be extra cautious then :wink:

Is the workout title sync from GC a one-time-thing or will it update when changed on GC after first sync to intervals?

The date-range-selection will probably only become visible, AFTER I check the download from GC box, correct?

I manually uploaded a run workout from GC with power (developer field with Stryd) and noticed that I can see a power graph but no power stats. Now, I know that running power is still work in progress… Would that be a reason to hold of with GC-sync, as to not mess up the power metrics for cycling?

Unfortunately Intervals.icu only gets the activity file which does not contain the name of the activity. It will use the name and description from any existing Strava activity + preserve intervals if they have been edited.

The default start date is “today” so thats ok.

Runs with power won’t mess up cycling stats.

I see, that’s too bad. I’m thinking about this whole syncing/storing/naming thing, and have not found a good solution yet (not a criticism with intervals)… Probably best to open a new thread and “crowd-brain-storm” :wink:

Just to throw another spanner into the works… For some reason I get duplicates because I warm up on my Garmin headunit in Zwift… the Zwift race begins and ends uploading just the race to Strava and Garmin Connect… and my cooldown continues on my Garmin which saves and then uploads to Strava via Garmin Connect.

It would be lovely if it was possible to merge the file into one activity or cut out the race from my Garmin so I am not fudging my figures. The Garmin is also using my Bepro pedals as power source with Zwift my Elite trainer.

Next time this happens please leave the duplicate Strava activity in place and email me david@intervals.icu. I can probably fix this. Duplicates are currently detected by looking for an activity starting within a minute … I need to change that to look for an activity completely overlapped by another (your Garmin one in this case).

2 Likes

I disconnected from my Strava account from Intervals when GC sync became available, but missed having the names for rides and have pretty much stopped using intervals.

Is there a way to to get the Strava ride name only attached to the GC ride, and if so, can I do it in a way that doesn’t create problems with the Strava API call limits that I was trying to help out with by switching?

This is what I suggested earlier. @david is looking into that option.

1 Like

Here’s a Strava GC duplicate that you might like to look at @david

https://intervals.icu/activities/5145160888
https://intervals.icu/activities/i930126

I have made a change (for deployment Tues AM GMT+2). Strava notifies Intervals.icu when you change the name of an activity on Strava. If the Strava activity has been deleted on Intervals.icu (e.g. because it also came through from Garmin Connect or other source) then the GC activity name is also updated.

1 Like

That’s great David.

If I reconnect my Strava account to operate in tandem with GC, will that cause a problem with your API pull restrictions with Strava?

1 Like

It will use some calls but less than without GC so go ahead. Tx for asking.

1 Like

So do i connect to Strava, but uncheck download activities for the renaming to occur, or leave download checked? Sorry, I am a bit rusty with the changes

You need leave download checked. The Garmin activities will replace the Strava ones but Strava name edits should still come through.

2 Likes