Future fitness changes

hi, is it possible to plot future fitness changes based off planed workouts?
so then on the fitness graph you can plot where your fitness and form may be in a few weeks? thanks

Yes you can. Your workouts just need to have training load set. This is done automatically if you are importing a calendar from a service that provides TSS in the export (e.g. Trainer Road). Workouts built using the workout builder Intervals.icu also get training load and also “time in zones” which also shows up on the fitness chart.

1 Like

ah thanks, all I had to do was move the calendar date to show future weeks! sorry to waste your time

1 Like

I missed that too. Didn’t think anything would show, but even future races show up (red dots) if designated in TrainerRoad. Perhaps a one-click toggle amongst the 3mo / 6mo links in the date picker would improve discoverability?

2 Likes

Thats a good idea. Will do something like that.

Hopefully this does the trick:

6 Likes

@david
Thought I would reply to this feature request rather than opening a new one.

I think it would be really interesting/useful to have some more options on the calendar. Not saying you need to do what TrainingPeaks does, but they have some useful presets in my opinion, like

• Last 28 and Next 7 days
  • Last 90 and Next 21 days
  • Last 180 and Next 45 days

Where clicking on one of the options sets the fitness chart to these dates.

What may be even more useful though and what I would be most interested in is something like “planned training” (I’m sure there’s a better term), where the calendar and fitness chart’s end date automatically jumps to the date of the last scheduled workout.

So if I currently have training workouts planned through October 17th, clicking the button would show all the upcoming training I have planned. Of course, I can look at my calendar then go back and see, but while planning training there is a lot of back and forth checking dates.

Of course, I can use a season but sometimes training is only planned a week or couple of weeks at a time.

1 Like

Thats a good idea. I need to try figure out where to put it in the UI …

Are your TR races shown with red dots? Mine don’t

Races labelled in Strava are red dots. Not sure which direction the labelling goes, Strava to TR, to ICU I believe

You can also edit an activity in Intervals.icu and make it a race. Click the big activity icon on the detail page.

I imported my TrainerRoad calendar with associated loads. Then looked into the future. Seems intervals is not recognizing the load values. What am I missing?

I think it is working. I just looks like it isn’t because what you have planned via TR isn’t that much so your CTL is declining. This week you are looking at Load of 529. Next week only 270, then 155, then 319.

Your current fitness is 75 so you have been doing approximately 7 x 75 = 525 a week.

1 Like

Thanks David, I work in healthcare with an Extremely variable schedule which makes training particularly challenging. I had opted for a TR low volume plan and then substitute whatever I think is best. I’m not sure this is a the best strategy. Thanks for your help and thanks for all that you do.

I went into TRoad, and increased my plan to their high volume plan. Then waited, logged in and out of both TR and Intervals, came back to intervals in an hour. I’m not convinced that the projected fitness is working. Granted, the new TR workouts are only giving TSS of 500 or so a week. No worries, I was just hoping that TR and intervals combined would help me towards my A race. Leadville 100 in August. I don’t have much faith in TR properly “coaching” me. I may get in touch with Wade for a plan.

Rather, contact Tom Bell (not wade, whoever that is:)

Please remember that CTL does not = fitness. Fitness is just used here as CTL etc are terminology specific (copyrighted?) to Training Peaks.

Ref your variable schedule at TR I would suggest LV is best and try and nail those 3 (I think on LV?) key workouts each week, even if you need to move them to different days to accommodate.

Consistency is key. CTL is only one way of measuring progress. Sure it is some indication of fitness but certainly not the only one.

Can you post a screenshot of your Fitness graph?

Also, why do you not have faith in TR? How long have you been a user? Have you not seen results? I ask as I am a TR user alongside self coaching so interested.

Agreed with CTL not equal to fitness. I’m 63 years old training for the Leadville 100 MTB (this is the 3rd go). Always finished, just want to be the best I can be. My schedule is terribly random and so there fore have been doing the T.Road low volume and then working in as much Z2 as possible. I really like TR, however, my concern is this. I don’t see my FTP increasing more than 10%. This based on 5 years of training. The best way to increase my speed then would be to increase my aerobic base. This would means lots of time in Z2. T.Road does not prescribe enough long (2-4hr)Z2 rides.
The fitness graft I am sending you is what it looks like after loading a T.Road high volume plan. I am very happy to hear any of your thoughts. It would be truly best for me to do TR low volume and add in Z2 Whenever it works with my very unpredictable schedule.

I’m not sure how this works for TR workouts imported. But from the power/HRZ2 plot, there isn’t any data from Feb20 onwards?

This is how mine looks like when i plan my next week’s session. There’s the Load Chart, and the Power/HRZ chanrt as well being populated. Does your Load Chart get populated from the future planned workouts from TR?

Do you have planned workouts with actually power targets etc? TR calendar only being across a overall load value and so can’t determine TiZ etc