Free or low-cost coaching platforms?

Hi everyone,

I am a NICA high school coach and have a few kids who would like to have some loosely structured training plans. These are not detailed workouts, but more of a general ride theme and duration throughout the week to help them with consistency and mindfulness. Each ride is first and foremost fun, but when an athlete wants to improve on a skill or process I’ll be incorporating that into the rides.

I have always used TrainingPeaks and looking for something similar. The only requirement is that it syncs with Strava as maybe half the kids just use their phone to record the rides. I would like to have at-a-glance checkups on their weekly progress, and if possible have a place for them to leave any comments post-workout.

I’ve always been the one coached, not doing the coaching, so wanted to see what was possible. I will only have 2-3 athletes at first, and no more than 5 overall.

thanks!

MJ

You should take a look at Intervals.ICU, I’ve heard it’s great stuff

10 Likes

If you post here, it means that you already know intervals.icu. Unless you are asking for something else?

@Menko_Johnson all of that is possible in intervals.icu. I am a Level 3 coach for Denmark High School and we use intervals.icu with our student athletes.

2 Likes

@Max_Nelson Thanks, I spent a little time looking at it as I had been trying to set it up before the kids had an account. This will work perfectly.

One question–is there a mass upload via CSV or something that you use to create the plans? I’m new to creating the plans so would appreciate any process guidance you have. Thank you!

If you click the book icon on the toolbar of the calendar page it will open your workout library. You can create training plan there and apply them to athletes. Unfortunately no plan import but you can import workouts in various formats.

Thanks @david. The workouts are purely descriptive, so I can build them in the calendar directly and save them as a weekly group. Appreciate helping with the little tricks.

(I am not a coach) but I have been using Trainer Day for a couple of years as an alternative to TP. https://trainerday.com/

It syncs to free Strava, I think also with the TP workout of the day, and then to intervals.icu.

Good luck with the coaching - I have been thinking about how to get more public school clubs, teams, and events going in the USA.

2 Likes

I believe you can also push / get workouts from TD (TrainerDay) and sync or upload them to Intervals.icu as well.

There’s also Whatsonzwift.com which has some workouts which you can download / convert (someone here wrote a converter for it) and upload it to intervals.icu as well.

After it’s in Intervals.icu, you can then get your athletes/kids/students to use their choice of workout app, be it Garmin / Suunto / Coros / Wahoo / BreakAway: Indoor Training / Zwift and such to execute those workouts (it can be automatically synced or pushed to those devices in most cases)

Completed workouts can then be synced back into intervals.icu and you, as coach, can look at their stats and chat w them and provide additional guidance whenever needed.

1 Like