Fouth Frontier HRM

Hi

Anyone using the Fourth Frontier HRM ?

I have it on evaluation and can’t decide if I want to keep it.

I would welcome the view of any users who are using it or trilled it with intervals.icu

Hi @segovia , I had a good look at it and reviewed it here: Fourth Frontier X2 review. It’s a good product but perhaps only for the right kind of people.
If you are over 40/50 then its ST segment metric for heart strain is novel and might add an early warning signal for you.
you’ll be getting an ECG at exercise levels of intensity, when i had one a few years back it was a walking ramp test and i don’t think i got much above z1.

if you want a tool that helps you monitor yourself and family members (elderly parents) then it gives you some extra data points to help facilitate consultations with your doctor. the pdf charts are particularly good for that.

if you are a biohacker then it gives you more data points than you might otherwise get.

it’s not ant+ and only have one BLE connection from memory

it’s not cheap and you could replicate much of the features with a polar h10 and, kubios or something similar (there are still costs there). but Fourth Frontier gives a complete working solution out of the box.

1 Like

Thanks, I came across your review before I purchased, and it did steer me towards the device. My main gripe is support does not respond to emails and the user forum is very quiet for 11,000 users. One of my posts has been stuck in moderation for 5 days.

I have also seen some latency on Trainer road, HRM goes from 120 to 88 for an example. My Kickr is ANT+ and I had a cadence device which was on Bluetooth but isn’t needed as the Kickr has cadence. I was thinking it could be a Bluetooth clash, I have removed it and wil test again.

hey there.
I extensively tested the raw HR and you saw the results on the review. so it was pretty good. in that respect.
There was, from memory, a bit of latency (by that I mean a multi-second LAG) but I was unsure if that was because of the multiple devices in use.
Perhaps a more likely cause of interference is with your WiFi (I wrote a piece on that last week by coincidence, but I won’t push my luck and post another link in this thread!!)
I don’t get immediate responses from support but it was either within 24 hours or 48 hours. I don’t know if I’m flagged up as a reviewer and get preferential responses??? I don’t think so in this company’s case.

1 Like

Thanks, I tested again this evening and the latency seems to have disappeared. I used two HRM’s one on Bluetooth and the other Ant+, I had Trainerroad and my Hammerhead GPS running and both were reporting identical HRM +/- 1 BPM.

It would be nice if the HRM data could be exported PR, QR and QRS, do you know if that’s possible ? Numbers are easier to analyse compared to graphs.

1 Like