Enter time based intervals?

Is there a way (or easy way?) to enter time based intervals? E.G., for the workout below, if I do a workout that at the 5:00 mark I begin intervals of 30s hard x 60s rest x 15? I’ve read about workouts and played with it a bit but haven’t figured out how to use it correctly.

Thanks,

You can. Try copy this in the workout builder (choose category “Workout”):

Warmup
- 5m 50%

15x
- 30s 190%
- 60s 50%

Cooldown
- 5m 50%

Also you should turn on the “30s power” chart, looks cool on intervals like these.

Thanks David. When I do that it creates a new separate workout for the day that appears on the calendar below the ride. How do I apply that to the ride so that the intervals are correct? When I click on the ride in activities I get the screen I posted above. When I click on the workout in activities I get the Edit Calendar Entry dialog for the workout.

I’m still struggling with this. I did a TACX workout on 26 May:
4x

• 270s 70%
  • 30s 50%
  • 60s 100%

I then created that as a workout for that day, but then how do I apply this workout to the data from Garmin Connect?
Thanks,

Here’s the workout:

If I have a workout that I was using Garmin or Tacx to control, Garmin Connect has each step as a lap.
So you could use the “Use Laps” feature to match your workout steps to the post-ride data.
Otherwise, you have to manually create the matching segments.

It’s my understanding that the workouts are to show you what to do prior to your workout, but David’s amazing software analyses what you did and auto-creates the intervals you actually did to review.

Yes unfortunately Intervals.icu doesn’t tie the planned workout and activity together. So you need to use the lap button or the auto detection to find intervals.

Thank you guys. Auto intervals isn’t getting very close on these. I’ve been modifying the start/end index in the data table but that requires a bit of math (prob good for me though) and it appears to only allow two types; work & recovery, while these are three types; moderate, easy, hard (or moderate recovery, recovery, work?)

I’ll play w/ laps and see what I can figure out. Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks,

You can edit the label for each intervals so you could use that for moderate, easy or hard.

I’m getting pretty frustrated. I think intervals can provide great data but I can’t figure out how to get it to do it.
One workout yesterday was 1m hard, 3m moderate, 1m easy x4.
The intervals done automatically are nowhere near close so need to do it manually.
When I try to edit them in the chart I can only edit the ones that are apparently ‘work’ intervals. I cannot edit a non-work interval, I cannot seem to have two non-work intervals together, nor can I get it to start with a ‘work’ interval.
I think at this point I’d be thrilled if I could, in the chart or in a data table, edit the start & end times of each interval, say if it is a ‘work’ interval or not, give it a name.
I feel like I’m really missing something here because I’d think that what I’m trying to do isn’t at all unusual and so should be easy to do?

If you go to Interval Data page, you can click on the pencil next to Work to edit the indexes for the Work interval. The resulting recovery intervals can’t be edited but that’s not necessary.
Remove all intervals and create an approximate interval at the points where you want them. Then do the above to edit them exactly as you want.

Thank you. I think I’d figured the pencil out once but it wasn’t registering this time. This still results in the two non work intervals being one single interval. Any way to fix that? My PT and cardiologist both like to see heart rate recovery for those individually.

Thanks,

I’m affraid that isn’t possible. The intervals concept is “Work” or “Recovery”. 2 consecutive rest or work intervals with different intensity are not possible as far as I know. Intervals doesn’t have “laps” as in for example Garmin Connect.
Haven’t tried but maybe a very short interval of 1 or 2 seconds could be a workaround?

As @MedTechCD says it isn’t possible right now but this has been on the todo list for some time. I will see if I can fix it tm.

Just fixed this issue and made other improvements:

So I’m still struggling with this (though the improvements above helped). Every time I use intervals.icu I have to first spend quite a bit of time adjusting start/stop times. And since the start/stop times are in total seconds from the start of the workout I either have to calculate each from the previous (prob good workout for my brain) or I have to create a spreadsheet for the workout and then manually enter all of the times in.

I wonder… if there was a way to enter minimum interval times in seconds (for me that would likely always be 5, 15, 30 or 60 seconds) if it’d do a better job of automatically getting it right the first time?

One recently was 20 intervals of 90 seconds work + 30 seconds recover. If auto intervals knew that it had to start/stop intervals on 30 second minimums (rather than 1 second) I wonder if it would have done a better job of getting it right to start?

I just had a look at that ride and yes the current interval detection algorithm will struggle with those (hard start & stochastic). I really need an alternate algorithm e.g. maybe specify minimum power and then it finds all time durations with at least that average power. Hopefully I will get some time to fiddle with what started Intervals.icu in the first place soon.