Does TSS = Load?

It’s a silly question and I expect there to be caveats, but does TSS for all intents and Purposes equal “Load?”

TrainerRoad has TSS for cycling, but not for running and I would like to enter in a TSS for my runs - should I just plug in the Intervals.icu “Load” value, would that be the same or close enough?

TSS is a Power based metric. If you have Power for running and Power set as your primary load metric, TSS = Load.
If you have HR or Pace, it depends how well your zones match. If they match closely, Load will be very close to TSS.
If HR zones don’t match Power zones at all, it could be far off.

Perfect thank you! I do have running Power

Just going to go off this for a question I was thinking about yesterday:
If I have rides getting uploaded from Strava and I am riding a bike without a power meter, will load be calculated using HR, or will it use the estimated power that strava provides? I think I’ve heard that estimate is pretty bad so I’d hope in those cases HR is used?

Yes, HR will be used in Intervals.
The Strava estimated power isn’t forwarded to Intervals as far as I know.
If in doubt, open an activity without power and click on the Load pencil icon in the summary. If there’s no load for Power indicated, it means that no power evaluation was available. See first image from one of my MTB rides without power.

And another one from a road ride with power

3 Likes

Stephen Seiler certainly thinks so, i.e. it does not/not measure Stress resulting from the activity but only the Load.

1 Like