Custom Zones Feature

Please allow custom heart rate and power zones. I am used to using different zones, so the stats that Intervals shows don’t correlate with my other training software.

I’d just like to be able to define my own zone names and ranges (as percentages of maximum HR and FTP) in the settings.

The HR zones are customisable in that you can change the HR for each of the 7 zones. However you can’t change the names or the number of zones.

It would be hard to make Intervals.icu work with something other than 7 zones but its not so hard to make them more configurable.

I have added this to the todo list.

I would absolutely love the possibility to manually configure each of the 7 the power-zones.
I recently did a lab-test, and my zones come out a bit different than the default ones.

1 Like

You can now set the percentage of FTP for each power zone. You can’t edit the names and so on (yet) and there must be 7 zones.

2 Likes

That’s great, and much appreciated!

Is there a way to remove Sweet Spot? I just want zones 1-7.

Sweet spot is counted separately so you can just ignore it. Not easy for me to hide it everywhere.

I’d just like to add to this that I’d love to be able to change the HR zones to something like the Seiler 3-zone model. So it’d be <75%maxHR, 76-89%maxHR, and >90%maxHR.

I can probably do this by just making this my first 3 zones and having the other 4 as heart rates that I’d never be able to reach, but it would be good to have something like that as a drop-down option, in a similar way to how TrainingPeaks offers different pre-set zone calculation methods.

Right now is probably best to subdivide the 3 zones into 7. 1+2=S1, 3+4=S2. 5+6+7=S3. Then the parts of Intervals.icu that translate 7 zones into 3 will work nicely.

Probably the easiest way for me to implement this would be a “3 zone mode” which converts 7 into 3 as described above everywhere the zones are presented. There is a lot of code in Intervals.icu that wants 7 zones. Its one of the things I decided to be opinionated on in the beginning to simplify things to get some working software live.

2 Likes

Please could you allow the minimum value for Hr Zone 1 to be customisable?

1 Like

But then I would need to add a Z0? I need to be able to find a zone for any HR.

Would that be necessary? Could the data below this set minimum not be discounted if that was what the user wanted to look at?

Yes it could but unfortunately its not easy for me to make Intervals.icu work that way. There is lots of code that assumes any bpm or watts value can be turned into a zone.

That is a shame. Thanks for making such a great platform!

1 Like

Why it would be difficult to reduce number of zones? :thinking: Just curious as I’m fine with just 4…I think having 7 zones just makes things more complicated, but on the other hand I’m a simple guy :joy:

I could possibly combine some of the zones when they are presented in the UI and keep the full set in the background.

2 Likes

just curious, what’s the technical reason for not able to reduce number of zones?

also, don’t bother doing the ui tweak for me as I’m already viewing several zones as combined :slight_smile:

To get software out the door you need to decide where to cut corners and simplify things. I decided to go with 7 zones for HR and power early on so I could easily combine power and HR data for “time in zones” + things like the colours on the 30s power chart are easy if you know you have 7 zones etc… Making this non-configurable saved time. I can still make it configurable at some point in the future but easier would be to support combining zones in the UI for people who prefer that.

2 Likes

Maybe also consider aligning the power zones with HR-zones. Right now Z5 for power (=VO2max) is Z6 in HR zones.
I personally would not miss one of the threshold zone to be dropped :wink:

Hello David,

another feature in the same line of this discussion would be to be able to have some personalized zones besides your 7 zones from the start.

For example I would like to know how much time I have spent in an HR interval (135-145, Iñigo San Millán high zone 2 for me) from September 2020 to October 2020 since I have made a specific block there.

Do you see what I mean ?

PS neat that Patreon is in euros now

Tx for the support :slight_smile:

That is a little different from custom zones on this thread. The “time in zones” is calculated and stored per activity with the zones as they were at that time. It is is very fast to lookup and doesn’t require much storage. Your request requires either storing detailed “secs @ bpm/watts” data so time in zones can be dynamically calculated quickly or adding a specific chart for this (probably on the /compare page) with a (slowish) endpoint that gets the data from the power/HR traces. Anyway it is now on the list.

1 Like