Custom Heart Rate range planned workout

Hello,

Is there a way to create a planned workout using a custom heart rate range, for example low bpm =126 high bpm = 130?

I did a search but it seems this option is not available.

Thanks

You need to specify the HR range in % of threshold HR. This is so workouts are portable between athletes. So if threshold HR is 170 bpm then use 130/170 = 76%. So “- 10m 74-76% HR”.

Also possible with % of maxHR (which could give a slightly wider range of bpm).

Thank you, I thought about that, just wondering whether absolute values were an option.
The question came because in Friel´s book “Fast after 50” there is a heart rate based workout that uses this formula:
Interval Limits = LTHR - 30 +/- 2

I may also create the workout in Garmin Connect that alows to enter BPM targets.

Thank you both for your comments.

Try not get fixated on an abolute value, as your physiology doesn’t work on on/off switches. It can change day to day, depending on your sleep, hydration, temprature (cooling) and more. Having said that, for the aerobic threshold test/workout that he refers to, limit +/-2bpm, you can use %maxHR, like follows:

-30m 70-71% HR

This will be 2-3 bpm, maybe 2-4 if the maxHR is low.
I’m using example values only.

Go ride, and see how you do.

If testing, it must be the same route, each time, so you have a comparison to the benchmark.
But note that power and RPE will fluctuate irrespective of how you feel, due to the wind, elevation, temperature, hydration, sleep all affecting HR.

Thanks,

I am just trying to figure out Friel´s workouts and maybe give them a try just to experiment. Being honest, that type of workout would be impossible for me to do outdoors due to the undulating terrain where I ride. The only option then is to do it indoors and I am afraid it would be really boring and tedious.

My limit indoors, for an easy ride, was initially about an hour. Increasing it slowly over time has allowed me to get up to 100km when needed (like lousy weather outside, or time constraints on a weekend ride).

I agree, indoor training has several advantages like full control of interval intensity and duration which may not be possible outdoors or being able to ride in foul weather, like yesterday that we had a lot of rain where I live.