Custom activity heatmaps

:+1:t2:

My (Python) code is at https://github.com/yokuha/activity-journal/blob/main/L-R-balance.py😉

Yes tx I found that on the other thread. I have implemented a contours option (bit more work in d3.js!), just need to get the mouseover working. Back on my day job now so will finish tonight or Thursday am. From the 1st of September Intervals.icu will be my day job and I will be able to get a great deal more done.

19 Likes

Looks interesting. On what page can I find the “Activity Charts” button? What are “various activity detail pages”? If I go to “Activities” in the left menu and click on an activity I don’t see the button.

For the Activity timeline page:

On the Activity Power/Pace/HR pages, there’s an ‘Charts’ button on the back to bring up a similar menu.

1 Like

These are fantastic! Since the axes of the heatmap automatically scale to fit the data, I would love the ability to clamp to absolute ranges, not just percentage of the data. Or specify the exact ranges for both axis. This would be useful for example on data where the useful stuff is likely to always fall in certain ranges, or in order to keep the axis scale consistent across several charts.

2 Likes

I’m not seeing the Heatmap as an option, do we need to enable this somewhere else first? Thank you.

Looks like you need to reload the app in the browser. You are seeing the old version. This is supposed to happen automatically.

Thanks David, that did the trick.

@david , unfortunately, I found some more NaNs:-o
See todays (Fridays) workout.

Great, congrats and good luck!
And congrats to all of us, shall be wonderful considering how you managed to develop and deliver this super-cool tool already so far:-)

2 Likes

I just had a look now “as you” and I didn’t see any? Maybe app was out of date?

Thanks! 5 more working days to go :slight_smile:

1 Like

Uh, oh, yes:-| This was on my old laptop at the trainer and the problem disappeared over night … apparently it reloaded now;-) Sorry for the line noise!

You can now specify the min and/or max value to be plotted for histograms and heat maps. This is applied before “Trim %” and the hide first and hide last options. Click the dot dot dot button:

3 Likes

This is a great feature. Is there any chance of having a 3rd axis be represented in the color map? You have added a 3rd axis in the form of density, but being able to select one would be killer. I’m thinking an efficiency metric on top of cadence and stride length, for instance. Or, even HR on top of power/cadence as you have it in this last message (as opposed to just concentration/density).

Thanks!

I did think about that for a bit but decided to see if anyone came up with good use-cases for it first. At the moment the density of each bucket is decided by the total seconds for the x-y bucket. How does that work for say heart rate? Average the HR for the bucket?

1 Like

Yes, that’s how I would envision it. Average HR for the x/y bucket intersection. I’m using power-to-HR a lot, but also just seeing where raw HR is in relation to more than one other variable would be interesting, such as length/cadence as I mention. There’s room to explore other things, maybe Grade/Cadence/Efficiency (running). I don’t track much cycling, but maybe there are ideas there, too.

EDIT: Thanks for the reply!

And to clarify, the current implementation is great! I find density useful too, so the “feature request” if there’s demand, would be to have the option to select between density and a 3rd variable with basically all the same options you have for the other two.

1 Like

Is there a way to search for heatmaps?
When I search for the heatmaps shown in this post I get no results. When I click on Add/Heatmap the manual creation window is shown.

@david, if searching shows charts, histograms and heatmaps, are your L/R Balance and Power vs. Cadence heatmaps shared? If not, would you mind sharing them?

They show up in the activity charts search box. I have just shared “L/R Balance Heatmap” and “Power vs Cadence Heatmap”. So if you search for “heatmap” you should find both of those.

1 Like

Thanks for that!

1 Like