Create workout and export as .FIT file

When I create a workout for cycling, like 5 repeats of 2 steps, 6m zone4 and 4m zone2,

and download this workout as .FIT file, the downloaded workout doesn’t contain the Powerzone values but only the power values. so when I download this to my Garmin, it contains de “custom_power” values and not the powerzones. see the screenshot

When I download this workout as JSON, it does contain the powerzone values.

When I create a similar workout in Garmin Connect, the FIT file does contain the Powerzones in stead of the Power values (column: Target Values):

When I import the garmin created workout in intervals.icu and download it again, It doesn’t contain the powerzones, but it contains the powervalues.

Can the download of workouts created by interals.ico, and exported to .FIT contain the real powerzone values?

How did you create a workout in GC and export it ? I tried to create a workout in GC, but after that, there’s no option to export the workout as FIT.

Can you guide me?

hmm… it seems this is the same issue as:

when putting the target_value in “Workout Step Fields” at 0, the custom target values are used

see FIT SDK documentation
https://developer.garmin.com/fit/file-types/workout/

Target Values vs Custom Target Values

Unless defining repeat steps, the target_value dynamic field typically refers to setting a target zone. These target zones represent target limits that have already been established through other means, such as in a settings file, through a user interface, or predefined on fitness equipment. If zones are predefined their numbering should start at 1 (since 0 is reserved to indicate a custom zone). The workout_step can then be used to set a target heart rate, power, or other zone value. In this case, the custom_target_value_high and custom_target_value_low fields should be set to 0.

If a specific target range is desired, the custom_target_low and custom_target_high fields may be used to set the upper and lower boundaries of the desired target range, and the target_value would be set to 0. Refer to the FIT SDK for specific field/zone values. When creating swim workouts, the target is used to indicate the swim stroke for the step.

You can’t export a workout from Garmin Connect, however you can send it to your device, the steps are:

1. Send workout to device ( garmin edge ** )
  2. Connect the edge to your computer as storage device
  3. at your Garmin In the directory garmin/workouts you can find the FIT files of your workouts
2 Likes

Intervals.icu always includes actual values in generated files to avoid relying on zones set on the device. It has no idea what those are or if they match the ones in Intervals.icu.

Hi David, so for a teainer, that means he can’t create workouts based on power zones, and share these with the riders. That’s unfortunate

So That’s how to get the FIT workout files.
Thanks

Well you can if the athletes are on Intervals.icu. The same workout will be customised for each athlete using their Intervals.icu zones. Also if the workout has power/HR/pace steps the athlete can choose how to perform it.