FIT File missing values

Hi,
I’m having a problem with FIT files downloaded from the Calendar. The workout on Intervals.icu shows all the values and shows workout graph:

whereas the downloaded file does not show target power values on my Sigma ROX 11.1 bike computer when launched in training mode. What is funny though, is that the power range indicator on the bike computer works! Which means I don’t see the target power value for the interval, but if I guess it, the computer shows if I am +/- in the target power. Seems odd.
In fitfileviewer.com the downloaded file indeed shows target values as 0 in every step of the workout:

Maybe the issue lays here? Is it fixable? Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks in advance for help! :slightly_smiling_face:

Same problem overhere.

Hmm. The “custom_target_value_low” and “custom_target_value_high” are supposed to define the target range. I added the target_value=0 bits to “fix Garmin issue” (my code comment). But I cannot remember what that Garmin issue was :frowning:

I remember that I arrived at that fix by creating a workout in Training Peaks and looking to see what they put in the file.

does that mean setting target_value to something else than 0 causes problems?
I will try to modify the .fit file setting target_value to desired power value, upload it to my Sigma and see if it fixes the issue.
Is it possible that enabling Garmin compatibility causes incompatibility with Sigma computers? :thinking:

Hi, me again!
I can’t find any program/online editor that lets me edit certain values in workout FIT file. The ones I find only let me view the file. Can you guys guide me to one?
Otherwise I can’t test if setting target_value to desired workout interval power value would work :confused:

This morning I had this problem as well
In training peaks the line ends with ‘power=1s’
Hope this solves the problem…

Okee, Just did some testing…
‘power=1s’ at the end of the line does the trick and ‘Press lap’ works for the Sigma Rox 11.1 as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can you walk me through the process with what program/website some screenshots?
You just download FIT workouts from TP or modify them yourself afterwards?

Indeed I found the ‘Power=1s’ in an TP import. So I did a test and used the next lines:

'- Part1 1m 38-48% power=1s ’
'- Part2 1m 30-50% ’
'- Part3 1m 56-60% power=1s ’
'- Part4 1m 48-71% ’

Line 1 and 3 gave positive results

1 Like

Hi david,

when you put the target _value to 0, the custom zones are used, with this change, you eliminate the use of powerzones in the FIT files, see explanation below from the FIT SDK documentation:
https://developer.garmin.com/fit/file-types/workout/

Target Values vs Custom Target Values

Unless defining repeat steps, the target_value dynamic field typically refers to setting a target zone. These target zones represent target limits that have already been established through other means, such as in a settings file, through a user interface, or predefined on fitness equipment. If zones are predefined their numbering should start at 1 (since 0 is reserved to indicate a custom zone). The workout_step can then be used to set a target heart rate, power, or other zone value. In this case, the custom_target_value_high and custom_target_value_low fields should be set to 0.

I have a similar issue, but with HR zones. My HR strap started to malfunction and I fixed the erratic data and re-uploaded it. It works great with Strava and others, but with Garmin Connect since there seems to be a line where the time in heart zones are written from the device itself so it doesn’t recalculate that in Garmin Connect, making it actually worthless to remove the erroneous HR readings.

Is there a way to actually edit that single line? I can see it using fitfileviewer, but none of the editors I’ve found are able to edit or recalculate these values.

Any ideas?

Edit in Intervals, download fit with modifications and upload that one manualy to Garmin. Delete original one.

Thanks for the reply. I tried that but when I tried to import it back to Garmin Connect it said there was an error.

Am I missing some setting or something?

Garmin usually don’t provide the error statement. So I guess it’s pointless to ask.

I read ur problem post. It says HR Zones data is in error. AFAIK, ur right. Those HR zones data is baked into the FIT file. And the edits from intervals I think, highly possible doesn’t alter the HR zones numbers. Which May make it not what u want anyways?

I was trying to fix the error by editing the FIT file excluding them, but max values were always there, so it didn’t work. I had to live with two weeks of random HR values until the new HRM arrived, no big deal. Thanks for the input.

1 Like