Consumption of fat and carbohydrates

Goodmorning everyone. I am a new member.
I really like how Intervals.icu is structured.
I wanted to ask if the consumption of fat and carbohydrates in grams per activity can be roughly calculated.
I tried to search but so far I have not found this parameter.
Do you think it would be useful data?
Thanks

This is highly individual and IMO needs repeated Gas Exchange Testing, while doing a ramp test. I don’t think it is very useful.

I think it is pretty useful to calculate your needs during a long time trial for example.

But it’s pretty difficult to estimate and gaz exchange also have their flaws (but it’s the best way to do it without turning yourself into a guinea pig)

If you don’t have access to a lab. Despite the fact that I don’t hold them in my heart, guys at Inscyd do a correct job at evaluating energy expenditure. If you know physiology nerd who loves east germany physiological papers, you can also compute this by yourself…

http://www.nfkb0.com/2020/06/17/xert-carbfat-model-from-baron-biosystems-is-not-for-me/

2 Likes

Roughly you can expect the CHO contribution to go from ±50% to 100% from 50%VO2max to CP/FTP. The exact number will vary with exercise duration, fed state, training cycle, time of day…

The INCYD values are probably more useful than a single lab visit (single ramp test surely not good enough). You would require at least a step test with sufficient step duration, which would have to be repeated under different conditions…

EDIT: The mentioned % values are for the caloric contribution, so to get grams you need to devide by 4 for grams CHO and 9 for grams FAT

I have no personal experience with INSCYD but did notice that among the established sports scientists, some questions still lurk on the validity of the methods. There was a Twitter storm on this a while back.https://twitter.com/JeroenSwart/status/1317701285832019969

Has there been a paper published on the model? My question is : how do we know its correct?

1 Like

You are absolutely right and I am regularly among the spectators or even throwing a little provocation here or there (on VLaMax mostly)

But for me, numbers for fat and carb consumption are in the same ballpark with INSCYD or a met cart test. But Xert was way off.

1 Like