Change pool length

@david Please tell me how to change the length of the pool in the created workout at intervals.icu, because by default it sets the length to 25 meters when I have a pool of 50 meters. Thanks

I hadn’t thought of anyone using the workout builder for swimming workouts. So does you watch tell you how many laps based on the time and pace? Is it possible to change the pool length on the watch?

There is a field in the data I send to Garmin for pool length so it is probably possible. Need to figure out how to represent it in the builder.

Yes, you can change the length of the pool on the watch.

One also needs distance-based intervals for pools! (For running too)

1 Like

@david
And I also wanted to ask.
I use the Garmim HRM-Tri chest strap cardio sensor in training, and when synchronizing swimming training at intervals.icu, the pulse is either not transmitted at all, or it is transmitted literally for a couple of seconds of the start of the training. Is it possible to fix this, if so how?

I am not sure how to fix that. There is very little HR data in the file. You can try download one (go to the activity data page and click “Original FIT File” and load on fitfileviewer.com and have a look. It might be possible to get your device to record HR with the records.

How can you even create distance based workout? I think it’s not yet possible, although I would really like it!

1 Like

You can sort of. You need to capture the step using time and pace and the workout editor displays the distance. The distance will change if your threshold pace changes or the workout is used by an athlete with a different threshold pace.

Hey, reviving an old thread here!

I was attempting a swim workout today, and it worked somewhat, but there were just a few things missing when I tried it in the pool.

First was the pool length in the workout – it was defaulting to 25m when it should’ve been 25y for me. I was unable to update on my Garmin watch because it was locked to the length set by the workout.

Just an idea of how to represent, maybe it would make sense to have a ?PoolLength=25y or ?PoolLength=78m (idk, weird pools?) at the top of the workout editor, and that value could be sent to garmin (I see above that you mentioned that garmin API does seem to accept the value). I think that the 25m is a sensible default, but could be overridden by that ?PoolLength line (or some other solution!)

Secondly – it was showing my pace targets in “minutes per mile”, would it be possible to use the units of the pool length (or interval)? Like if I specify 25y for the pool, it could do pace per 100y, which would be something like 1:45min/100y. An example workout:

?PoolLength=25y // <-- see what I did? :D

Warmup
-200y Z1 pace // I would expect this to display as 2:01-2:14, for example, using time per 100y

- rest Press lap

4x
- 100y Z4-Z6 pace // I would expect this to display as 1:46-1:59, for example
- 30s rest

- rest Press lap

8x
- 50y Z4-Z6 pace
- 20s rest

Standard in swimming is either pace per 100y or per 100m, depending on what type of pool you use.

Thank you for all of your efforts so far! It really is a great tool. I tried an indoor cycling workout and it was flawless :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would appreciate it!!!

You can specify pool length in the editor and it will be included in the workout sent to Garmin:

pool length: 25y

Please give that a try. Sorry it took me so long to spot this post!

Currently Intervals.icu will default the pool length to 25m if it is unspecified. It might be better to leave it out altogether and then maybe it could be set on the watch?

@david Unfortunately the garmin watch locks the pool size setting when using a training.

Tried several versions for pool length 50mtr/y, but did not work for me.

Cheers, Hannes

Hmm. I edited your swim workout on the 3rd Nov:

pool length: 50m

I downloaded the fit file and it includes the pool length setting. However I don’t know what Garmin generates (the API accepts JSON not a fit file and Garmin creates the fit file). Could you please see if this swim syncs to your device and mail me the fit file (david@intervals.icu). Tx.

2 Likes

Need to correct myself - this morning after syncing it worked.
Seems to take a while or I need to sync via WLAN not the phone, to instantly get the update of the training.
Thanks a lot David!

1 Like