BreakAway: Indoor Training App Now with Intervals.icu Calendar integration (Workout Of The Day)

Yes. I agree with this assessment as well. When previously i did FTP tests, it’s always a struggle on what initial FTP number to target for the 20m. It’s usually either we undershoot the target, or overshoot the target and sizzle out before the 20m is up.

For ERG mode, there’s no such thing as a “Free Ride Mode” as the trainer would need to know what target Power to run with.

What I can suggest is that you do an ERG+SLOPE mode workout and use SLOPE mode for the 20mins. YOu can refer to this post (BreakAway: Indoor Training App Now with Intervals.icu Calendar integration (Workout Of The Day) - #208 by app4g) to see how to structure the workout in intervals.icu’s workout builder to automatically switch from ERG to SLOPE mode for the 20m test.

That depends entirely on your experience. If you have a pretty good idea where you will end up, yes. If you don’t have a clue what your FTP is, you will almost surely start way too hard and ruin the test.

And FWIW, the 20min test isn’t all that good either. The one that will give you the most accurate result, is the full 60min test when it is correctly paced.

For most users a good 20 min test or a ramp test is accurate enough when it comes to setting up training zones.

3 Likes

Just remembered that the app also supports changing Modes from ERG → RESIST anytime during your workout (If you do not want to do automated ERG+RESIST)

Hence, for your situation, you can pick an arbitrary FTP % for the 20m portion and then when you hit the 20m interval, you can manually change from ERG to RESIST mode and alter the SLOPE % (using the +/- buttons) to your liking and use your gears to control your effort. Similar to doing an FTP test outdoors.

1 Like

Is there a lap button in the breakaway app to do some
Manual intervals

Currently Laps are based on the workout intervals. There is a Skip (to next) Interval button which could also function as a manual lap button.

Perhaps that would work…

Garmin Connect Capability has been expanded.

1 Like

New Sports has been updated as per Intervals.icu support for these.
Will Be rolled up in next official release (soon)

1 Like

Hi, I am still enjoying this app, thanks again for all your work!

I noticed that the History on my device contained hundreds of thousands of workouts. It seemed like there were many entries for each workout that I had done. I couldn’t find a way to clear the history so I removed and re-installed the app to see if that would clear it up. I just did a 2-hour workout and you can see there are 7200 workouts in the History (one per second?):

EDIT: FOUND THE BUG… FIXED
This seems to only happen when using loading workouts from CLOUD, app doesn’t properly handle the .mrc/.erc etc file extension. (should be removed before doing the delete)

Compiling and gonna send an emergency bugfix update to Apple. Hopefully gets thru their review process ASAP…

— OLD TEXT —
is this a new thing that happened?
I can understand it generating 1 entry per second (actually it’s 1 entry per minute - this is the “autosave” function that will ensure that if a crash occurs, only the last 1min is lost)

The code is supposed to be deleting off the older/previous file before saving the new one, but looks like it’s not working for you for x reason. Not sure why as all the simulations I’ve tried, it works for me.

Simplest way to clear the history.

• connect to a laptop/PC and use the iTunes file browser thing and browse to the BreakAway Folder. This way, you can select all the ones you do not need in 1 fell swoop
  • Use the FILES app, navigate to the BreakAway folder, then do the 3 dots thing on the top right, use SELECT, then drag your finger down across all the non-needed Files and delete.

Now, if you would oblige me… I need some logs…(out of curiousity, what version of iOS? I’ve tried on 15.x 12.x and 16.x and all works)

How to get Logs

1. go to SETTINGS
  2. put “logcloud” (without quotes) to the Developer Box all the way at the bottom
  3. execute a workout
  4. Stop after a minimum of 2mins (this should create 2 files - 1 at 1m and another at 2m)
  5. go to HISTORY tab, send me the file called “logCloud” I think

I believe that you can do this using DEMO mode w/o connected to any devices so you can do it anytime.

I’m thinking that it might have something to do w/ Device Regions and how dates are different. Also, i notice all the entries shows 0m… Did you turn off Virtual GPS? I wonder if that’s the issue. (cos all my testing has Virtual GPS turned on)

Tx and sorry for the trouble.

I’m fairly certain that this didn’t used to happen, but I can’t say for sure when it started. Haven’t been riding indoors very much in the summer time. I did turn off Virtual GPS after the re-install, but don’t remember if it was on before that.

IOS 16.6

If you’ve found the issue, do you still need the debug logs? Amazing response time! :slight_smile:

Nope… should not be needed. And Apple just approved the new version (that was qquick!). give that a test and let me know if still has issue or is fixed… :pray:
Tx

I’ve been using the app for a few days, and I can say from my point of view that I can’t do without it anymore. I find it really an exceptional work and always in continuous improvement. Effective, simple and that goes far beyond other even more expensive apps.
Also “App4g” with whom I have already exchanged emails for help with a problem, and he has always been extremely helpful and kind! Truly unprecedented. Congratulations again!
and its integration with Intervals.icu is truly amazing :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

3 Likes

Looks better after the update, although it still incremented the number of workouts by 7200:

1 Like

Good and thx for the report… will take a look.

Edit: Think I fixed it… the variables got mixed up… was adding the workout time to the # of workout.

Tx again for the report.

My last few workouts it looks like the app crashes immediately at the end of the workout. Seems like the workouts don’t sync when that happens, but I figured out how to manually sync them which works great :+1:

The workouts autosave every 60s, so you will lose the last 60s when that happens. Not ideal. Apologies for that.

Did you enable Apple Health? I found (and possibly fixed) this as app was writing workout to Apple Health, but there is no distance (I believe this happens when user did not enable Virtual GPS). Can you confirm that?

Current workaround -

1. Turn off writing to apple health (Settings → Prvacy → Apple health → BreakAway → Turn off writing for Cycling Distance)
  2. Turn ON Virtual GPS.

what about audio cues? Did you enable that? I added a “finish workout” audio message and I recently saw some crash but only on ios 17 users.

Apple Health is not connected.

I don’t have audio cues enabled, but I do still hear a ticking sound in the last few seconds of each interval.

I’m on IOS 16

The ticking sound is enabled by default i think. Audio cues are those that will “speak” the words. (All these are un-selected correct?)

Other than these, I did not see any other logs from Apple on crashes. When you say, immediately crashed on end of workout, is it the very last second. (0:00:01 → 0:00:00 then crash as the app tries to save the workout and do cleanup?)

Presume this is on latest app store version? The workouts are the same or different each time? Which iPhone and what exact ios version? I’ll see your crash got sent to Apple.

can you also check SEttings → General → Privacy & Security → Analytics & Improvement → “Share iPhone Analytics” + Share with App Developer is enabled

All the audio cues were disabled.

I think it has been the same workout each time but not 100% sure because I’m not sure when the crash started happening.

iPhone SE (2nd gen)
IOS 16.6.1

I didn’t have the analytics enabled but I’ll do another ride today with it enabled and pay attention to the exact timing. My impression is that it exits as soon as the time hits 0:00:00. The ride appears in the history and all the data appears to be there (not missing 60s). I just have to manually sync it.

Btw, I’m not complaining. Love this app and just want to help improve it :slight_smile:

2 Likes