Body temperature sensors, what are they good for?

Hey guys, just a question:

Seems the CORE temp sensor is becoming more and more talked about in the cycling circles, however, I am having a hard time understanding how this can be useful because I don’t see a way to neither control the temperature nor take advantage when you are racing knowing you are at 38c or 39c.
if you are racing, you push it as hard as you can.

can anyone enlighten me ?

thank you

1 Like

I’ve been using the CORE sensor since June. My intentions were to add some heat training in preparation for my A-event at altitude (USA Masters Nats in ABQ, NM). Some research is claiming that heat training has a cross-over benefit for altitude. My heat training has been 2-3 indoor sessions a week for the past month with the goal of getting core temperature in my training zone. While I’ve seen core temps on outside rides in the training zone, it seems much more miserable inside with no air movement wearing winter clothing. Here’s an example of my indoor session. My goal is to get temperature up quickly then maintain temperature in my zone (dashed green lines) by adjusting my output and/or adding a fan, removing clothing.

For my racing (short crits and road events), the data on-bike is mostly unactionable. I’d guess ultra-endurance athletes and racers doing long events may have more utility from the data it provides in real-time, e.g. not getting overheated early in an event. I did notice a lot more riders during the tour dumping water over their bodies this year (maybe no more than other years and I’m just picking up in it now).

1 Like

Is there data on why this is? Does it have to do with plasma volume expansion? I’m really interested now

Yes.

1 Like

Hopefully, @david didn’t take offense to my WKO chart. I do use Intervals.icu charts with temperature but have to use the current surrogate field, THB, to display and then mentally insert the decimal place. I figured the WKO chart labeling would help display the information.

:slight_smile: Multiple tools is always going to be better than just one.

1 Like

I had a look at one of those files and it has core_temperature and skin_temperature. I will add those so you don’t have to use the surrogate fields.

3 Likes

Awesome, thank you.

This is live now. You need to re-process (Actions → Reprocess file) existing activities to see. Unfortunately this also resets interval edits. I did one of yours (28 July):

3 Likes

Do you know of any studies that look at maintenance of heat adaptations? Looking at the literature a lot of it looks at gaining adaptations mimicking going to an altitude camp then returning to an event. However, it would be interesting to know if there is anything dealing with maintaining that level? I’m guessing 1 or 2 rides a week indoors will do it.

Surrogate field?

The core temp is supplied as “THb” (total hemoglobin) in the fit file so apps that can display that will work.

I didn’t find any linked research on the maintenance topic but the CORE Body Temp website does lay out a maintenance plan very close to your guess. I felt pretty good at my event (93°F and 5300ft elevation) after doing the heat training prior to it. I’m going to attempt to follow a maintenance plan for the rest of the racing season and then back away from it in the off-season.

1 Like