Auto assign gear to activities using filters

Intervals.icu supports several different mechanisms for assigning the correct gear (bike, shoes etc.) to new activities:

• If the activity comes from Strava and has gear matching gear in Intervals.icu then that is used
  • If the activity is replacing a Strava activity then the gear from the replaced Strava activity is used

If the activity still doesn’t have gear then the gear activity filters are checked, most recently created gear first:

You might want to assign gear based on the power meter used and other criteria. Note that tags will only be filled if the activity pairs with a tagged planned workout at creation time.

If the activity still doesn’t have gear then the default from the sport settings is used:

You can always change the gear by clicking the activity type icon on the activity summary:

Or use the activity list view to filter for activities and update them in bulk:

15 Likes

Nice - my OCD had me twitching for some time :smiley:
Now I can fix my old activities.

1 Like

Seems small bug in gear popup, I selected - Power Meter “Assioma” Not
Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 12.24.10

Thanks. I fixed that and a couple of related bugs.

how can i see the gear on the calendar or on the activity?

You can add “Gear” as a column on the activity list view or click the activity type icon on the activity summary view. You can’t see it on the calendar.

1 Like

Cool feature to alter historical data in bulk!
I’m still however struggling to distinguish my commute rides, from my racing bike rides.
I use my watch for both and the racing bike doesn’t have a power meter. And Garmin can’t automatically label or name my commutes to help filter to it.

Hi,
I’m importing data from garmin connect. Where can I find powermeter name ? I actually use ActivityFix for Strava and it use ANT+ ID to select correct gear.

You can see it on the activity data tab (where the intervals are). It is also available as a column on the activity list view.

@jurgenvanimpe Maybe filter rides by distance?

1 Like

Ok I findit. But my 2 bikes are using INPEAK powermeter and the name is the same “INPEAK 3” for the 2 bikes.

Yes, that already worked for adjusting historical data in bulk!
But I don’t really know how to distinguish it for future rides. So I’ll have to do the bulk adjustment now and then :slight_smile:

Ah that was a bug. The data page now shows serial number:

Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 19.15.33

I also added “PM Serial” to the activity filters so now you can use that to choose gear:

This is also useful on the /power page.

1 Like

@david Awesome feature! With this automation I might actually start using the gear feature :smiley: I have two questions: Are the filters that are set under a specific gear logically combined with an AND or OR? Meaning if I set two filters do both conditions need to be met or just one?

The other question is, if it would be possible to add more possibilities to the filters, similar to how the filtering in the activity list works. For example I could identify my commutes either by distance or by source device (watch instead of bike computer), and having that as an automatic filter would be very useful to me

Each row in the filter is an AND i.e. all filter rows need to match. Within a row (e.g. selecting multiple activity types it is an OR i.e. any must match).

I have added “Device name” (e.g. “GARMIN EDGE_130_PLUS”) to the filters for gear selection and general use (e.g. on the /power page). I also added distance to the filters for gear selection.

Estupendo trabajo David, FELICIDADES. Tengo un problema con la carga del Medidor de potencia y la Marcha. Usando la misma bicicleta a menudo no trae los mismos datos. Podríamos saber por qué? Gracias y saludos.

I can’t see serial in data page (clear cookies and refresh)

I did some poking around on fitfileviewer.com. Your 31s July ride has two device_info messages for the power meter, one with serial number and one not. I have updated Intervals.icu to choose the first PM message with serial number if there are multiple. You need to do Actions → Reprocess file to see this for existing rides.

@Marchewka Your rides have the same problem so this fix will also sort them out.

Your 3rd of August ride has device_info messages for the PM (device_type = 11) but the serial_number and manufacturer fields are missing:

Are you using different head units? Somehow the correct info is not making it into the file.

1 Like

Hey @david,
I would like to know if the entry for PM_serial is linked to an and / or.

Probelm is:
I have 2 different powermeters and 2 different devices to record. Makes 4 different PM_serial numbers. They must be assigned to 2 bicycles.
With an or linking it would be possible.

At the moment it does not work.Screenshot_20230830-095830|230x500

Not entirely sure how you’re setup, but I believe the premise is to link the power meters to a “bike” by using the Serial Number

So for The “trainer bike”, you add a default gear (when you click on “no activities”), when it detects the PM serial number, then it will assign the activity to the “trainer bike”

Here you add the PM Serial number

I’m assuming of course that only 1 PM is assigned to 1 Bike. Unless you have a power pedal and you frequently mix and match bikes w/ that power meter

Each row in the filter needs to match so it is an AND and your multiple PM serials won’t work. How does 2 power meters turn into 4 serial numbers?