Age based rankings

I’m interested in age based rankings. Has there been any progress on this? At age 70, my numbers are probably a bit better than “Noob All Rounder:grinning: but already finding the site super useful. Congrats.

2 Likes

We made age based rankings here: https://fft.tips/rankme just enter your recent bests.

1 Like

I have started working on this and will get something out this week, with any luck. Hopefully there is enough data!

Age groups I have in mind:

Junior 0-18
Under23 19-22
Elite 23-39
Veteran 40-49
Masters 50-59
Grand Masters 60+

For male and female. I will have to see if there is enough data to split out junior etc…

If you have enough data I’d like to suggest upper age groups be something like:

60-69
70+

2 Likes

If there’s enough data, I’d suggest 5 year category breaks over 50 years. As I age I’m seeing 5 year differences becoming more significant.

1 Like

I will soon know how much data there is. I only started cycling when I was 35 (now 48) so have somewhat limited experience with this whole ageing thing. Never been a young cyclist!

I do know that just because someone has grey hair (well more grey than your own) doesn’t mean they aren’t going to drop you in a flash! Learned than early on!

3 Likes

Yeah, but that guy - with the grey hair - might have dropped you in less than a flash when he was 5 years younger :joy:

But seriously, it matters. I’ve always wondered why the ‘standard’ age ranking has 10 year intervals and none after 60…

1 Like

Maybe allow the user to enter a custom age range and show the number of riders in the custom dataset? USA Cycling does this with their ranking page. I don’t think you need all the variables they use but rather just age and gender. The result could indicate the size of the specified range’s dataset, e.g. “5th out of 39”

http://legacy.usacycling.org/events/rr.php

1 Like

Tx for that hint. Changing the way I store this stuff so the age groups are dynamic.

2 Likes

Starting to get some data out. There are 10 people 70+ with enough data in the last 84 days to be included:

eftp | eftp_per_kg | sex | tiz_class | hours/week 
------+-------------+-----+-----------+------------
  222 |    3.45     | M   | PYRAMIDAL |   6.3
  210 |    3.18     | M   | THRESHOLD |   7.4
  200 |    2.76     | M   | BASE      |   9.3
  182 |    2.75     | M   | THRESHOLD |   5.5
  204 |    2.64     | ¤   | PYRAMIDAL |  11.6
  156 |    2.40     | M   | BASE      |   3.6
  199 |    2.28     | M   | PYRAMIDAL |   6.3
  188 |    2.09     | M   | PYRAMIDAL |   3.9
  175 |    1.87     | M   | PYRAMIDAL |   1.7
  132 |    1.71     | M   | PYRAMIDAL |  10.7

I have lots of other things e.g. power curves so I can get out 5s, 1m etc. power rankings etc etc.

2 Likes

Here is a fun one: Very few people are managing to do polarized, at least how defined by Intervals.icu:

tiz_class | count | avg eftp | hours/week 
-----------+-------+----------+------------
 PYRAMIDAL |  2219 |  261     |   6.6
 THRESHOLD |  1460 |  255     |   6.2
 BASE      |   913 |  254     |   7.7
 POLARIZED |    64 |  233     |   4.5
 HITT      |    39 |  220     |   2.9
 UNIQUE    |    37 |  267     |   8.2
6 Likes

and that polarized group is almost the lowest hour/week

It’s a close race between threshold and sweet spot for me. Currently, threshold is in the lead, but sweet spot normally wins.

I obviously avoid polarized training :joy:

Perhaps linked to the issue I was having with the data - an inability to filter out non-cycling workouts so your TIZ is warped by any additional training you do off the bike?

David - you mentioned that you’re working on this, perhaps a way of making your data meaningful would be to set the default level for everything but cycling to 0 by default rather than forcing people to filter out other activities - that way if people don’t engage with the filter your data is more meaningful by default?

I will definitely put in a reasonable set of defaults when I implement this (e.g. Yoga=0). There are quite a lot of non-swim/bike/run activities that should count e.g. cross country skiing etc…

This is next up after I get these age rankings done.

Maybe you could also start collecting road racing category, then we can compare power profile category to real life. For example, I’ve had “Cat1” 1min or 5min power (W/kg) since I was a Cat3 but no race results to speak of from those years.

Additionally, training age (number of years training, ex. I am 20 and I started when I was 13, so in 2019 my training age was 7) would be an interesting metric for comparison.

My week always starts Polarized with a mix of base and HIT indoor, but the weekend rides outside are more a mix of tempo/threshold. This also makes me end up Pyramidal.

Are you sure that the HR lag does not skew this statistics? Most high-intensity efforts will count as mid-intensity