Add Laps section to the Activity page

@david - Would it be possible to add a Laps section to the Activity page?
It’d be great to be able to easily see my mile splits for my runs.

I’ve just worked out this data is available in Intervals.icu by doing “Analyse” and “Use laps instead of detecting intervals” etc., although that takes a bit of messing around. I’ve been using the site for months without knowing you could see this data (was still using Garmin Connect to view my splits), so it’s probably confusing for new runners using your site as well.

I personally think it’d be best to keep the “Interval Data” section as the Intervals.icu detected intervals and add a separate Laps section. You could even add it as a configurable option in settings so cyclists who don’t want to see the laps can turn it off.

I agree that separate laps would be nice but its quite a bit to implement. What I could do is have a setting to automatically “use laps” for the intervals for runs or similar.

There are also issues with lap data from Strava around privacy zones and so on. Sometimes the lap data is just incorrect re the activity traces.

1 Like

Yeah that sounds good to me.

Separate views for splits, laps and Intervals intervals would be really great. Splits could be configurable, 0.5 km, 1 km, 1.6 km ect.

Regarding Strava splits and privacy zones, perhaps the situation has changed since February? With the permission “View data about your private activities” privacy zones should not interfere with split or lap data? I have checked an activity with a privacy zone and the split data available to the athlete and the public is different (I assume it will be the same for lap data). I also compared lap data between Strava and Intervals for an activity without privacy zones and the lap data is different anyway. I also checked the map on another platform which imports from Strava and the gps trace for the privacy zones was visible, i believe due to the mentioned permission.

What I could do is have a setting to automatically “use laps” for the intervals for runs or similar.

I recently asked about this elsewhere, but it also seems appropriate here. Is something like this implemented?

Yes “Use laps for intervals” is in /settings for the sport at the bottom of the power section (assuming you have configured power zones). For HR and pace laps are always used.

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 06.56.26

Thanks! I assume it’s not possible to set “keep all laps” though?
Awhile ago I set a random power FTP to see what happens and would have removed it but couldn’t see how to (my activities don’t have power data).
It is making sense now that the intervals are actually power intervals.

For HR and pace laps are always used.

Sorry I understand the sentence, but I don’t understand what this means?

That means laps are always used for activities that do not have power data. Intervals.icu doesn’t attempt to detect intervals from HR and pace data and just uses the laps.

@david Are there any plans to be able to see the actual lap data (like you can in Garmin Connect on the Laps tab)? I’m still not able to see mile splits for my runs.

As an example, for a recent run activity (that was imported from Garmin Connect) “Use laps…” is set:

But it doesn’t show any lap data at all:

I’d be able to use Intervals.icu for all sports if this was implemented :slightly_smiling_face:

The lack of actual lap data is the only thing that stops me from recommending Intervals.icu to other runners.

That is not my experience. I always have to reprocess the activity to get laps: Analyse/Keep laps.

Just tried that and it’s now showing interval data for me now.
Edit: Just tried reprocessing a different run activity and even with “Keep all laps” set it doesn’t show any intervals :man_shrugging:

@david The other issue I’ve spotted (for running at least) is the time it shows for an interval is “Elapsed Time”, so includes time when waiting to cross a road etc… Ideally it’d just show the actual lap time (as it displayed on the watch), as Garmin Connect, Strava etc. display it.

The whole laps thing is tricky because you can’t recreate the lap data exactly from the activity stream data especially if the device isn’t recording every second. And Intervals.icu really wants to work with the activity stream data.

If I added a little table of laps people would want to see all the stats from the normal intervals there and I can’t compute those.

@oggie41 Can you please msg me a link to that activity. Tx.

1 Like

I’m a bit confused. 🫤?

Since there’s a “Use laps for intervals” for Power settings, can’t there be the same thing for HR and Pace settings so that Training Load Priority = HR or Pace first automatically uses laps in activities? (Re)analysing the activity to detect laps and specifying “Use laps + Keep all laps” works.

Maybe I’m mixing :apple:’s & :pear:’s.

Yes it does use laps automatically for HR and pace activities but it drops intervals that don’t look “hard” enough. Maybe I should have “keep all laps” the default or make that configurable.

1 Like

That would be lovely! (Esp. since none of my intervals seem to be retained, and, yeah, their hard enough.)

1 Like

new user here, really surprised that laps from runs cannot be displayed in i.i, I’d thought that knowing if user is set to imperial or metric system should be enough to show a table of each km or mile laps ? :thinking: