Adaptive training plan for triathlon?

As the name suggests, is there any app which provides a dedicated training plan for half Ironman and adapts the plan according to your performance??? I’m planning to sign up for next year so looking for a solid 6-7 months of training!!!
I have read the reading bible for triathlon but looking for something automated. Creating all these workouts by self is a pain :upside_down_face:

Suggestions are welcome….

There are a number of so-called “AI” based apps that are popping up

HumanGo seemed the best of those that I looked into, and it was definitely adaptive, but it’s pretty expensive for triathlons.

I’d also note that none of these apps really explain how or why they are selecting the particular workouts they choose for you, probably to protect their IP. As somebody who does like to understand this, I found that to be the most unsatisfying thing about them, and ultimately why I decided not to use any of them.

3 Likes

What’s your opinion on TR planning? That one is sure expensive but widely used I believe…

HumanGo has gotten better I suspect at explaining what each session is targeting improvement in. I imagine that the explanations are going to be pretty repetitive, but that is okay - still nice to know what each session is trying to target.

I just compared TR and HumanGo with one another for my personal application (Cycling, Running, Strength, in that order of importance), and HumanGo was CLEARLY the better option and for only a few bucks more per month at the “Endurance” level plan, it was definitely worth it for me.

HumanGo has all 4 sports (the three above plus swimming) and YOU define which you want to include or not and YOU decide how many days per week on each of the sports. It is FULLY adaptive - including recovery metrics from smart watches - like HRV, Sleep, etc.

HumanGo also exports workout plans to Garmin seemlessly instead of me having to manually recreate the plan in the Garmin GUI to have it live during the activity on my watch for running…and making up my own strength workouts since TR does not have strength at all.

Also HumanGo allows you to export cycling workout files (.zwo is one of the options) and I was able to use it seamlessly in IndieVelo, instead of having to just look at a boring TrainerRoad block activity.

HumanGo is without a doubt the better of the two.

1 Like

@dewwey & @Skyler have either of you done 1 - 2 mo on HumanGo ? Or just looking so far?

It really, genuinely does sound interesting.

The website fully gives me the creeps though; no chat, no phone number, no email, no forum presence, only a “contact us” form, and the entire site just reeks of a super generic “High :slight_smile: Energy! :dancer: Positive :+1: Modern E-Business Online Startup Company! Meet our team :sunglasses: !”

Absolutely zero demo videos, zero explanation of how the system actually works, literally not even a single screenshot of the UI.

:roll_eyes:

No clue if they’ll take off like a rocket and collect a few hundred thousand users and still be here in 2 - 5 yrs, or take in a bunch of cash and evaporate into the wind…

3 Likes

It’s a great question and I don’t disagree!

I love it, the “contact us” button has been heavily used thus far and they have answered with helpful and respectful responses- in a very timely manner.

The ChatGPT based AI coach chat feature is as you’d expect, not that great, but I don’t really care about that feature.

I recommend going to Humango’s YouTube page or the following

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdTkMwQyIz5y79eviLjkfHzFHZ_Ae-W65&si=2gr5Ipn3ewkNKZoL

Or

Though my best recommendation is to just give it a try - there is a free 30 day trial, so no harm no foul if you don’t like it

@Skyler thanks, appreciate the reply!

Nah, I’m good. I don’t need to go through the hassle of a free trial without a reason to believe in both the company and the product; which they’re currently offering absolutely zero reason to have faith in, from the "interested customers’ " perspective.

Equals, and most importantly: I don’t need to falsely jack up their “subscribed users” numbers so they can generate a bunch more online traffic, more numbers, and collect a bunch of poor soul’s cash and then evaporate. :slight_smile:

They can make it obviously evidently worth something; the product, the company, and the customer service [‘Contact Us’ only = fail.] or it’s a hard pass. And personally, I’d strongly recommend same to others. But that’s just me! :slight_smile:

ChatGPT powered AI coach, eh? Gah. That sounds like a rough go! :slight_smile:

Will watch it in the background, see where they are over the next 6 - 24 mo.

1 Like

@Chris1982 sounds like a highly cynical way to look at life and the app, but I appreciate the honesty!

An important distinction about Humango, is that it does not have a “yearly” subscription so if they were to be a scam, which they aren’t, the worst thing would you you’d lose $20, but in the meantime you’d get a great service while they are still functioning incredibly well!

@Skyler I wouldn’t say cynical; I’m just extremely careful with where I spend my highly valuable leisure / personal time! :slight_smile: I’m highly committed to spending it on healthy things that make me happy, rather than spinning my wheels. […get it?!? ] But I do totally get your perspective on it! :slight_smile: I just feel like you could spend hundreds of hrs signing up for stuff and trialing it; which suuuuuucks.

I’ve got a system that’s working extremely well for me, so I’m not looking to jump unless I have a reason…

…and I don’t think it’s much to ask for them to make a visible face of the company that makes the product obviously attractive to customers, and make it easy to contact CS.

But I do think it’s cool that we’re chatting about it, and they’re on the radar. So thanks!

:face_with_monocle::flushed: I’m cynical, particularly with AI. There are no secrets with cycling fitness. Many scientific studies, coaches, and professionals freely share their data. About the time an AI purports to be directing me what to do on a particular day is the day I demand to know why. If the developers can’t, won’t, tell me then I know the developers don’t know why the AI is doing what’s it’s doing or why.

Edit::joy: Erased walls of text explaining why an AI doesn’t and can’t effectively direct an athlete’s fitness.

1 Like