A training plan

What do you think about such a training plan for a 40-year-old advanced novice with 235W FTP :slight_smile:

1. Monday 10*1m@150% FTP with 3m resting between
  2. Tuesday 2 (maybe 3 in the future )*20m@90% FTP with 7m with resting between
  3. Wednesday 3h@75% FTP
  4. Thursday 8*3m@125% FTP with 5m with resting between
  5. Friday 2 (maybe 3 in the future )*20m@90% FTP with 7m with resting between
  6. Saturday Calm, relaxing four hours drive with friends :slight_smile:
  7. Sunday Resting!!!
    Of course, every workout with a warm-up before and active recovery after.

It seems aggressive. The first question I had was "will his ‘Saturday Calm, relaxing four hours drive with friends’ stay in Zone 2? Doubtful. Watch your fitness/fatigue numbers and see what happens. And every 4th week, throttle way back.

That said, I’m stealing parts of you plan.

Best,
Marc

2 Likes

Good point. I don’t think I have ever done a group ride that stayed in zone 2 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Saturday is mostly in Z1 and Z2 sometimes and briefly something more :slight_smile:
Now my load is about 400-500 TSS per week, so I think it won’t be too big a load jump.

This is actually a pretty good series depending on past load and assuming it fits with your goals. some comments on sessions:

1. Monday 10*1m@150% FTP with 3m resting between

good session intensity and duration

1. Tuesday 2 (maybe 3 in the future )*20m@90% FTP with 7m with resting between

good session duration but intensity is a little low, try and up the intensity on the 2nd 20min intervals to at least 95%

1. Wednesday 3h@75% FTP

good mixed session high zone 2

1. Thursday 8*3m@125% FTP with 5m with resting between

good session intensity and duration

1. Friday 2 (maybe 3 in the future )*20m@90% FTP with 7m with resting between

as above, but maybe try a different interval series…how about 4x 10mins with 2min rest @ 110% FTP…this is the same difficulty as your other interval sessions

1. Saturday Calm, relaxing four hours drive with friends :slight_smile:

ok

1. Sunday Resting!!!

good
Of course, every workout with a warm-up before and active recovery after.

2 Likes

2X20m @ 95% FTP is too much for me, I don’t have enough motivation :slight_smile:
I will try 2X (10m @ 95% + 10m @ 90%) or maybe a longer rest between?
That was today, in the end I had to reduce the load:

this is a unsustainable training program to follow. You may last 2 weeks at best and you will have no quality when doing the key sessions here. You need to have 2 key sessions a week and space them out typically 2 days apart.

When doing interval you want to create a stress and stimulus. You only do this by creating the correct stress on your body. By what you have prescribed is basically everything in a week, Threshold, some metabolic and then anaerobic workouts and you have 5 key sessions out of 6 days of training and the 6th day is with mates in a group which by nature and bless us all, is a smash fest then you want Sunday off to recover and adapt.

Tuesday and Friday do your key sessions looking at this but not specifically those sessions noted on the post.

Regards,

John

5 Likes

Looks great as a “key training week,” probably during a “build” phase. Doesn’t work as a “training plan,” which should have periodization, recovery weeks, and variance in training stimuli built in.

Highly recommend Trainer Road’s “Plan Builder” as a starting point. I think they might still offer a free trial.