5min power as %% of 50 min power

Hi all.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to improve 20-50 min power for ITT (both flat and hilly). Specific training (intervals, strength, volume/load, periodazation, …), etc. Power/CdA - is another story but would be glad to know your thoughts as well …

Smb. suggested my 20/50 min power was just too high %% of my 5 min power so that i would have to improve the later first before moving to specific LT training for TT .

Basic info …
52yo/75kg/180cm
have been riding for 4.5 years, training for 2.5 years.
have never done any specific ALL OUT testing, just riding/training/racing.
best ever power data (group road bike)
3min 409
5 min 370
8 min 345 (4*8 intervals training)
20 min 335.
60 min 310
the last 6 month power data (TT bike)
5 min 360
20 min - 315 (within the 50 min TT race)
50 min 300
120 min 270 (tried 90km bike leg this Sep. Think did too easy (low HR/RPE- could have done better)

Hi, I’m not a coach but know a bit about physiology,

I would first recommend to do a more accurate power profile on the bike you will be using for racing and training (involves some max testing 20sec,1,5,20m or anything in between :wink:

Then go from there and assess strength/weakness on your MMP or according to the % Tables i.e. in intervals.icu
If you are above the curve for <2m compared to >2m possibly high potential in decreasing Vlamax
If you are on the curve: classic approach, raise VO2max then decrease Vlamax
If you are below the curve, probably already low Vlamax, so mostly also classic approach

I don’t know your training history. If you think you can raise your 4-7m power: the classic approach would be to try to raise your VO2max with intense intervals i.e. 5x3, 4x4… 30/15… and as much volume as you can in Z2. And approaching your event, say 8 weeks prior, lower Vlamx: more threshold work, possibly low cadence/high torque around sweetspot… in essence more specific to your TT

At minimum your specific intervals should also be done on the TT-Bike… :wink:

1 Like

Thank you, Kurbelix, very much. It all sounds reasonable. Esp. the part about VLamax and 2m below/over the curve. I do have all my riding data for the past 2.5 years in golden cheetah/Garmin.
The reason i started TT training/racing was that just 2nd TT race in my life turned out not bad : won UCI Granfondo cyprus 2019 in my age group.
I do all specific training on TT bike.
As for vo2max power (appr 5 min) i will give it a go using the training aproach you recommended. But i noticed that if i stop doing longer intervals (315 min Over under f. E.), my power drops both for TT and longer climbs.
BTW, i tried 5
5-4,5min just the Day before yesterday. It was hard, but not all out (RPE+HR). 3 out of 5 i produced 99% of my best ever power. It clearly means there is some place for improvement!

1 Like

Just one more question…
A friend of mine trains coach potatoes willing to do triatlon. It turned out that he does ramp testing: 2min/20watt steps. Gas analyser+lactate strips. And he offered that i go through the test… Basically for free… Just the cost of lactate strips. I know that various step tests (1 min/20, 2 min / 25, etc) produce very different MAP, anaerobic power and aerobic power. Should i go for it and rely on the data from the test? Or doing speed/power profile is more reliable?

Hi Andrei,
my take is: If you do something, have an idea of what you want to get out of it. In my opinion Vo2max testing is not really necessary for cycling, you get a good enough idea through power. About tests it’s always about who does the testing, especially lactate at lower values relies on good method/equipment. I would personally only do a test that will give me an idea about the Vlamax.

From your age/numbers I would also assume that you are quite fit/really well suited/already pretty “optimised” for TT, so maybe your Vlamax is already low, while also you Vo2max is high. You can’t really improve both at the same time, that’s were periodisation comes in. Your Vlamx will most likey go up (and hence your threshold goes down), when you focus on Vo2max, but the idea is that once you increased it, you focus again on the specific work and loose as little as possible on the Vo2max side. That’s how you “sharpen” for the race- no way to be your peak best every day :wink: