Wrong activity type

I’m having a problem with activity types intervals.icu. Gravelrides (in Strava marked as gravelride (Gravelrit in Dutch) are shown as bicycling (Fietsen in Dutch). This used to work properly (previous gravelrides (e.g. in 2023) are shown as Gravelrides), but not anymore.

I tried reloading the data from Strava, added Gravelrides as activitytype in the settings, but nothing worked so far. I also searched this forum and the internet, but couldn’t find a solution. The last thing I tried is deleting the activity from intervals.icu and and use the “retrieve old data” function. The activity (from sep 29) does not appear right now, but I understand this can take some time.

I have also noticed that the activity type from Strava is not updating in Intervals. All my rides get uploaded as Road rides then I change them to MTB in Strava. It would be ideal if this transfers to Intervals.

If I’m not mistaking, webhooks to update from Strava after initial import, are a ‘supporter only’ functionality.
It has to do with the Strava rate limits.

That would be ideal indeed, and it has worked like that before. Don’t know since when it stopped, last time intervals.icu imported a ride correctly as gravel ride was dec 16 2023. My next gravelride was jun 2 2024, in intervals.icu it shows as bicycle ride, no matter what I do.

According to the info in intervals.icu the download period is limited to 3 months. And this has also worked before, but at this moment the ride of september 29 is still not downloaded.

Deleting in Intervals means that a filter is set for that activity to not show on the calendar. In the case of Strava activity, the Strava file must also be deleted but not for Garmin for example.
Go to the activity list view and filter for ‘Deleted’ activities. It should show up and you can ‘Undelete’ from the Edit menu.
At this moment, I have no idea why the Gravel rides are not imported crrectly.

Thanks, I found the activity and undeleted it.
The question remains why the activity type is not displayed correctly and how to solve that.

The Title and Description of the activity update live with changes in Strava, so the webhook appears to be working.

A temporary solution is to do it manually from the pencil icon next to the description.

The mapping for Strava activity types could be wrong or maybe the Strava file has not the correct activity type. I don’t know, i don’t use Strava.

It might have to do something with the definition of activities (in Settings).
When I checked that, gravel rides where listed under “Fietsen” (bicycling), I thought this might be the cause. So I added “Gravelrijden” and listend gravel rides under that activity. This didn’t fix the problem, but might have to do something with it.

I have a separate category ‘MTB’ for mountain bike riding because I don’t have Power on my MTB. But that isn’t interfering with the automatic detection of the activity type.
And I just checked and can confirm that it is impossible to add the same activity type in two different categories.
You could check the Strava file with https://www.fitfileviewer.com/ and see what activity type it has.

Mmm, this seems strange: in te FIT file sport is cycling, sub sport generic and name Fietsen. While Strava shows “Gravelrit” (gravel ride).

Tnx for the fitfileviewer.com tip!

The difference between the two activities is that one is recorded using the Strava app on my phone, in which I selected gravel ride after finishing my ride. The recent ones are recorded using my forerunner 255, which does not support gravel rides.

The fit files contain different data:

1. the first (using Strava app): sport cycling subsport: gravel cycling
  2. the second (using forerunner): sport: cycling subsport: generic

In Strava I can edit the activity type, but this does not have effect on the activity shown in intervals.icu. On my next ride I can change the activity type in intervals.icu, to see what happens to the activity type in Strava.

Since I cannot define gravel as activity type on my forerunner 255, I would prefer to change the activity type in Garmin Connect, and that that also changes the activity type in Strava and intervals.icu automatically. I can’t, however, find a way to reload Garmin data in Strava, does anyone know if that is possible and how to do that.

If that is impossible, I will have to change the activity type in Garmin Connect and intervals.icu.

Neither Strava or Garmin Connect notify Intervals.icu when you change the activity type after the ride. Garmin Connect only provides the original fit file from the device so there is no way for Intervals.icu to get updates.

With Strava Intervals.icu supporters get a poll when they visit the calendar page. This will update the last 30 Strava activities with name, type and other changes. Non-supporters need to use “Download old data” in the Strava box in /settings to do this. This is to save Strava API calls.

If you have Strava and Garmin connected then Intervals.icu will update the Garmin activity with changes from Strava if you have “Keep non-Strava activities in sync with Strava” checked in /settings.

If the activity type is wrong in Intervals.icu after you edit it on Strava, the easiest way to handle this is to edit it on Intervals.icu. Intervals.icu will push the change to Strava.

Thanks!

Last night it updated, and I think the difference was that I remembered to change the activity type in Strava from the new quick edit menu - so straight after I uploaded.