Workout builder

hi @david

Here is my take after the test.
Besides the above I have one comment/suggestion:

Using non “range” targets on Garmin’s workout page is impossible due the fact the gauge has a range. Without a range the pointer keeps jumping around like crazy mainly with power.

Because it doesn’t make sense to specify a range for an ERG mode workout, in order to not have to create specific workouts for ERG and no ERG mode my suggestion is either or:

Because Garmin is not the one controlling the trainer and the app that does that needs a file uploaded to it:

1. we create non range workouts and you add an automatic % range up and down when synchronizing with Garmin that needs that and the downloaded workouts would remain unchanged for use ERG on controlling apps.

2. Vice-Versa. we create range files targeting the use on Garmin’s and you would take the average when downloading the workouts for ERG use.

3. at least to put a warning in the steps of the workout builder to always choose “RANGE” for power and hr when using a Garmin like you you do for HR : "If you are using a Garmin watch you must use “Instant HR”. But on this way we would have to create one workout for Garmin and other for using on ERG mode.

Regards,

There is already support for automatically making workouts uploaded to Garmin use a range:

Just click the numbers to change the % of the range. This is applied to all fixed power/HR targets.

2 Likes

ops, nice.

But that didn’t worked today…

I can send you a small video I did during the test showing the pointer jumping around on non “range” written steps.

Or maybe there should be a minimum bigger than 2.5%?

Tks,

I think I am looking for a slope mode option too. My use case is using erg mode for warm ups and cool downs, and maybe even recovery between intervals, but allow my vo2max intervals be switch to slope mode so I can self pace those efforts.

I have not yet actually tried, but my guess is using the max effort, even my smallest gearing is going to put my wattage way to high at any reasonable cadence.

What does happen when we already set a range in the workout? Do you ignore the preset range?

Thats correct.

Hi David,

I did a activity today using Garmin workout page and a power range of 5% and it was perfect. Previous 2.5% was to small to accommodate power variations.
One thing you could consider it to take the word “Outdoor” on “Outdoor power range” because I think it is for indoor too.
I doubt someone can use Garmin workout page without a range.

Thank you,

1 Like

The power range is only applied to workouts that are not tagged “indoor”. The assumption is that if you are indoor you are going to be controlling a smart trainer or something. Its easy to just not mark the activity as indoor if you are going to be uploading it to Garmin and want the range feature.

1 Like

Hi,

Not necessarily.

1. I might be doing a non ERG workout using my smart trainer like i.g. the beautiful Passo do Iseran (Col de l’Iseran) (Slope mode).

2. or just a free indoor workout in level mode.

I believe the rational is if it is or not an workout for an ERG( fixed or percentage) mode and not if it is outdoor or indoor.
Any way for me is just a matter of never mark a workout as indoor so when I send it to Garmin through the calendar it gets the range feature and when I need to run it on Rouvy or Golden Cheetah the download does not apply the range feature.

Does any Garmin device directly control a smart trainer in a ERG mode?

Thank you,

Do you plan to control smart trainers direct from your calendar? :slight_smile:

I would like to know the answer to that question.

Nope! There are apps to do that (e.g. trainerday.com).

I guess all garmines can, 530, 830, 1030. some watches.

you are right : https://youtu.be/soXbz_BnOR8?t=238

For that one idea would be to change the indoor box to ERG because there is no range on ERG mode. If marked ranges would not be automatically created.

Tks

but if you do we could change a workout (add or extend an interval) on the fly directly at the calendar without changing / creating / downloading and uploading erg/mrc files. :slight_smile:

Regards,

1 Like

Edge 530 and 830 can for sure. Done that but it’s pretty basic. Edge records power from a power meter if present but doesn’t use that power to control the trainer. If they are off (which they usualy are unless you have a very expensive trainer), it’s quite disturbing to never be at the target.
I’m using Trainerday app to control my trainer while recording on Edge 830 that runs the same workout. Gives you best of both worlds: good trainer control with Powermatch function and all the parameters you’re used to from an outdoor ride on the Edge. I’m never more than 1% off target :star_struck: with a pretty basic wheel-on Smart Trainer, Tacx Vortex and Assioma Duo.
Trainerday is still in early stages but growing up quickly. App runs on Android and IOS.

2 Likes

I use an Edge 530. The workouts I create in Intervals.icu and put on my calendar are on my Edge when I turn it on. The workout controls my smart trainer flawlessly. Marking it indoor/outdoor does not make a difference in this scenario; the Edge uses the power target I set in the Intervals.icu workout and puts a range around it nevertheless. However, the range does not mater as the smart trainer hold the power target from the workout.

Other than the fact Garmin workout API does not support slope mode, this setup is perfect. My three kids also have Edge 530s and it is sooo nice to be able to just drop a workout on their Intervals.icu calendar and they are ready to go!

Thank you for all your effort @david! Intervals.icu is phenomenal.

2 Likes

Hi David,
Just backing up everything Max said above regarding Garmin Edge 530. I have used it with Tacx Flux S and it does a great job.

Great program thank you.

2 Likes

Interesting.

@david , could you please confirm that?

thank you.

I’m new to Intervals but loving everything I’ve seen so far. I have been playing with the workout builder trying to get some workouts for my Garmin Edge 520 Plus. Everything seems to be working fine for me (creating workout, scheduling it on calendar, syncing to GC, showing up on Edge device). My issue is that I don’t see the text that I enter in the “Text to display to athlete” on my Edge. Is there something I might be missing in the syntax, or is this something not supported on Garmin devices? Example below…

• Test text to display 60m 55-75% power=1s 85-95rpm

Apologies if this is answered somewhere else. I tried searching but couldn’t find anything.

It looks like you have it right. I just did a test on my Edge 130+ and the text for the step was not displayed. I checked and I am sending the correct data through to Garmin. I Googled a bit and it looks like this might be a Garmin limitation:

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-530/209957/display-step-notes

Thanks for taking a look. I suspected it might be a Garmin thing.