Workout builder

Tx Gerald. You can also use the activity list view to update zones etc. on selected activities:

3 Likes

Even better, thanks. I keep forgetting about the list view.

1 Like

Just passing by to say a huge thanks to @david for the amazing work he did and he is doing!
Cheers buddy!

2 Likes

thank you for your help. much appreciated

1 Like

And can we use for a same line power and lthr ?
Like that for example:

• Endurance 1h 55-75% 77-86% LTHR

Then how does it work for an export to a Garmin bike computer ?

• If I don’t have a powermeter, Garmin will use the heart rate zones prescribed ?
  • If I have a powermeter, Garmin will use power zones ?

Thanks

Yes… you can. The workout will have Power (sent to the trainer, or just showing you on screen if workout is outside) and your target HR (be it, HR or LTHR)

Indoors - Smart Trainer - Power will be sent to the Trainer and you’re to follow/adhere to the HR yourself
Outdoors - everything will just be shown on the screen (bike computer) and you will just follow it

Data /workout will be sent to the bike computer and you just do the workout according to what’s shown on the screen.

If you’re looking for a way to execute workouts based on Power AND HR, you can take a look at this thread. The app will control your smart trainer such that you will follow your prescribed HR. (but take note that HR is a lag measure)

could you please further elaborate this ?
At least on my Garmin Fenix 5x workout screen either you have power target ( a range) or hr.
I can not even change any those field: we have Target range (gauge) , speed, and step time.
I wish could at least change speed for HR or pw or vice-versa.
I’m not sure about other devices.

tks,

Structured workouts screens like this one the Fenix 5x Cannot Be changed. this is a default setup screen.

You can only change your own custom data screens / fields.

Also - the fenix 5x cannot connect to the trainer and control it. It can only read the power numbers from it

That I knew.

What others devices you can change Workout screen fields?

The athlete can choose how to perform the workout. Here I have chosen “Auto”:

Auto will use whatever the athlete has configured for the sport in /settings:

Power in this case. So the upload to Garmin will use power targets.

would be awesome if garmin allowed changing targets according…

@app4g , @david Thanks for your answers, I will try and give you updates.

1 Like

Is it possible to create a workout with rest intervals? I couldn’t find! In running there are some workouts that is more efficient when you do a rest between short sprints.

Add your rest period as duration, but add the rest intensity as 0%. It will still show the full duration, but won’t add to the training load.

1 Like

I did it. But when I went to Garmin Connect and tried to filter the intensity workout to see the data spent in the intervals it counted the rest as running and showed everything.

Is you power zone setup as 0% or 1% as the minimum value? I set mine as 1% and it ignores the time in zone when at 0%

I’m not using power zone because I don’t cycle, just run. And I didn’t figure out what can I do to make my power run works. I have Garmin 945 and HRM Pro but the power zones for run didn’t appear on my device (even though I downloaded the apps Garmin Power and Garmin Power Combo by GarminLabs). I can create workouts with power (on intervals.icu and on the Garmin app, but not on the garmin webpage), but when I do the workout it didn’t show the power on that planed power zone.

I don’t have the power zones on the Connect, just on the IQ Connect. I’m trying to figure it out, but I don’t know who I have to turn to. It seems that this feature is not working on Garmin 945, just on Garmin 955. I saw this article explaning how to use Garmin Running Power:

I commented my situation there, asking if I was doing something wrong and a guy there said it didn’t sound like I was doing anything wrong, but some vagaries from garmin, as I described, wouldn’t surprise him. So I kind lost hope :joy:

Garmin run power (on 945) is not native, it’s using a connect IQ based “developer field”. As such, it would likely need for intervals.icu to actually know what is the name of that field for it to parse it properly.

The 955 is said to be native, hence it uses the Native Power field in the FIT file

Is there any chance to limit the last power zone? Here

is the same workout top with HR and bottom power-guided. For HR, zone 7 is limited with HRmax. Zone 7 for power has a range from 150-999%. I see max effort should not be limited, but the workout preview graph is way too small, maybe the range can be limited to 160% for displaying?

The bars are now clipped at 180% of the athlete’s FTP. Tx.

1 Like